Thread: Where to start?

Default Where to start?

I am quite curious about Buddhism, though don't really know much about it. I have recently had a friend stay with us who is Buddhist and have started to find out about it.
    Can anyone help with a good place to start learning more about it on my own? There is so much information that I am just getting rather confused! I don't even really know what questions to ask, so thought if I start at a good source of fairly basic information, I could go from there! TIA

Default Re: Where to start?

What do you want to know about? There's plenty online that explains the 4 noble truths which are the basic precepts of Buddhism. Buddhanet has lots of general info and articles. You can also learn more from your local Buddhist meditation group - mine run a meditation class and also a Dharma discussion group which is essentially a Buddhist book club. You could attend a retreat? There really is so much information out there, it can be hard to know where to start but it's really ok to just start with what you stumble upon and that will prompt questions and ideas to follow.

What is it that appeals to you? What do you need from it? A belief/meaning system? Community? Tools for your mind, your lifestyle or your relationships?

ETA: The Art Of Happiness is also a really accessible first-read

Thanks so much Santosha. I don't really have any idea what I want from it yet. It really is just a seed planted in my mind at the moment. I think I need more clarity on what Buddhism is, before I can begin to put together any sorts of ideas of what I want to get out of it. I need to know if it's something which is appropriate to me, I suppose!
    I will check out the noble truths, the book and Buddhanet when I have a chance to really concentrate (ie, when my little people aren't around me!) I just googled and we do actually have a Buddhist centre very close to us, and they run different classes around us. I might need to try to get to one!

Sounds like a great place to start. I found that the more I read, the more questions I had, so it's great to have someone knowledgable to talk to so you can really start to figure out the basic concepts and how they might apply to you.
    It's amazing stuff - enjoy!