Thread: Who is responsible for our future?

Default Who is responsible for our future?

Hi all, this is my first post on Belly Belly. I registered here as I remembered that there was a sprituality and religion discussion that I might have something to contribute to.

Australia is extremely fortunate to have His Holiness the Dalai Lama visit this year for a series of public talks entitled "Our Future: Who is responsible?" as well as a two-day Teaching Event in Sydney, "Awakening The Mind".

"Developing a kind heart and awakening the mind is not just a sentimental or religious goal. It is for everyone, irrespective of race, religion or political affiliation. It is for anybody who considers themselves a member of the human family."

As Archbishop Desmond Tutu recently has stated, "His Holiness the Dalai Lama is not simply a holy man. He is recognized throughout the world as one of our few true moral authorities. He is a teacher who has shown us all how to live our lives with compassion, non violence and love."

What do you think about our future and where it is heading?

Wow that's a very very big question asked very generally... Do you mean what is the future of western civilisation, the human race or as individuals?

As does the HH I believe that we are in very fortunate times - that spirituality is becoming tantamount to a larger number than only 10 years ago. I think that we have collective Karma and that much harm has been done to our planet, ourselves and our humanity.

Maybe you could be a little clearer?

LOL yes it is a big question. I guess it needs a big answer, although the answer of course depends what the future means to each of us. It was supposed to be general I guess. I also suppose many of us have different feelings about our individual future as opposed to our collective future, and this might change depending where we live.

So, I guess, to be clearer, the question should probably be something like:

How do you feel about your future and as part of the human race? Are you optimistic for yourself and your family? Do you feel like you can make a difference?

Hope this is clearer...! (Geez I'm sweating on it now)...

wow, what a question!

I have just read The Art of Happiness, and am very interested in learning more about Buddhism, it just seems so right to me.

As far as the future goes, I'd like to think that we will be okay, but really, I dont know, all the dmage we have done to each other and the world. I guess all we can do as individuals is try our best to be kind to the environment and each other and hope everyopne else does the same.