Thread: Buting a home after seperation

Default Buting a home after seperation

This is probably a silly question, but if I were to buy a house now, ex would have absolutely no rights to it would he?
    We've been separated for 3 years, but paying for a divorce is at the very bottom of my list of priorities.

If I do buy, there would be no money from the relationship going into it. There is no money/investments from the relationship.

I only ask because he mentioned it once when he said something about buying. He actually owes me money, but I never thought us being married meant I could help myself to part of his property.

So I just thought I'd double check.

Default Re: Buting a home after seperation

I have not being in this position but according to my good friend her ex husband (divorced) could potentially be intitled to a claim at her new property with her new partner for up to 1year after their divorce. I don't know how true that is. There were no children involved. I guess unless they stood to gain a lot it wouldn't be worth the fee's that would be involved to make a claim.

I think it'd be too much effort for him. But I don't want him having any chance of ruining the life I'm trying to build for my kids.
    I do wonder if that is from divorce date only, or if separation counts.
    I think I should have rights the other way, since he owes be in child support, but there is nothing at all either of us could use to buy that came from our relationship. No savings etc.

You need legal advice on this.

Bugger. Will call them the next chance i get.
    Thanks.

Yes I agree that its unlikely to be worth the hassle especially when you buy a house unless you have a big deposit half the time you owe as much as the house is worth if that makes sense.

Its a big risk to take I guess so you would need some legal advice. Like you said you are trying to improve the future for your children so you don't want anything to jepodise that and if your ex is anything like mine he couldn't care about hurting his daughter.

Ok. Does anyone know if there's a way to get legal advice over the phone? I called Legal Aid & they referred me to a solicitor in Perth. I am 4 hours south of Perth & don't even know if there would be a solicitor within 2 hours from me?

Idea's now?