Thread: What can I do about this?

Default What can I do about this?

So we rent.

We moved into this house about 3 months ago.

The house has issues, but it was the best of the bunch at the time. Through out the house you can see where the LL has patched holes everywhere, and tried to patch the cracks from the moving foundation. The gutters are over flowing every time it rains, someone it meant to be coming to clean them, but she refuses to put gutter guard in the them so with the over hanging trees its just a matter of time before we all go through this process again.

Anyway none of that is the issue.

In the afternoon the front of the house gets the full effect of the sun. There are a couple of trees, but the one tree that would have stopped the majority of the sun hitting directly into the kids room is unfortunately dead. Has been that way for some time by the look of it. I've hung block out curtains in that room and I guess the positive is that it won't need heating in winter. The other issue is that the front door and garage door are metal. They get hit by full afternoon sun. My poor niece discovered just how hot the door handle can be when she grabbed hold of it before we could stop her. She now tells us every time she comes "ouch! Hot!"

I've raised these issues with the LL. She doesn't want to replace the dead tree. Doesn't even seem to want to remove it, rather just leave it there until it topples over I guess. And she offered to get some block out curtains (the ones that came with the house are old and next to useless hence my already using our own replacements). She doesn't want to do any more than that. I get it. From what I have seen and experienced getting things fixed already she doesn't want to spend a whole lot of money on the place.

So that leaves the issue of the front door, the garage no one else really touches bar myself and I have put one of those heavy duty gloves in the car in order to open and shut it in the afternoon. But the door is touched by everyone who comes and goes.

What can I do? I can't put anything there that is permanent. The real estate suggested putting a cover of some sort on it, but that was as far as they were able to be helpful. Wouldn't a cover just get hot as well when left out in the full sun? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: What can I do about this?

Could you put a new handle on it while you live there and put the original one back on when you leave or a shade cloth blind in front of it? If she's not going to fix it there's not really much else you can do about it.

The answer is "not much".

You rented the house knowing it was a metal front door. It's not as if it is a repair due to it being broken, or a maintenance issue like the gutters. You just don't like that it gets hot. But you knew it was metal when you rented the house so the landlord is under no obligation to fix it.

Says she who also rents , and has had over 10 tradies through the house in the last few weeks to fix maintenance issues or broken things

You could ring the council about the dead tree. Perhaps they could issue a notice for dangerous foliage?

Is there eaves or a verandah? You could hang bamboo blinds from Bunnings that will shade the front. They're about $20 a packet and work really well. We used them on the front of a rental. We got the full frontal sun too and they were fantastic. We also used them on our own house to shade three massive windows and they worked so well we only really used the aircon on 35+ degree days, and even then it was only late in the day. Other than your own fix, there isn't much you can do as far as the landlord goes.

I agree with Divvy on the tree. The council is probably your best shot. You could tell your landlord that you're getting it inspected for safety.

We were willing to remove and plant a new tree of her choosing to replace the dead one. She doesn't want to do anything about it as it means more maintenance. Fair enough I guess. Wouldn't I need the LLs permission to hang something like that? There are a couple of old hooks on the eaves but they are broken. Our lease says we can't use any hooks of any kind without first obtaining permission. If it needs permission I'm not hopeful that she would allow it. The room has old style Venetians and our block out curtains on it. Its always warm to hot in that one room where it gets the full sun. Again, good in winter haha.

I might look into replacement handles Tinks. Maybe there is something better on the market.

Good idea about council

Our house is the same. We asked if we could put some screens up or something to cover the windows. LL said no as it would make the house look ratty. Then again she does nothing for us and we have now had to take many issues to tenancy board to get stuff done.

Most thick fabrics wouldn't get hot and would cover the door handle well... maybe you need to crochet bomb it?

What about a bike handle bar grip tape? It's spongey tape that you can fix your bicycle handles with. It wouldn't get hot and should stand a bit of the elements.

The best thing for full sun is exterior shading of some sort. It doesn't look ratty, it's just essential. I think I would have a look for your options at bunnings or whatever. Then put it to her in writing what it needs for fixing to the house properly. Then it's up to her, but if you are buying the shade and taking it when you go, then she shouldn't complain. I am guessing there is no property management involved - just a private arrangement?

The removable hooks that have the glue like backing that just comes off could be a go. You can get some strong ones. If you found out the weight of the blind, then you could match the hook up and then there would be no holes.

You could replace the old hooks too as they're already there. That way you're not adding new holes and fixing something that is damaged. If you go down this path, take photos first!

Maybe something like tennis racquet grip tape?