Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caesarean General Chatter & Discussion #8

i have no idea why the c/s is booked in for 39 weeks ... they actually like them to do them at 38 weeks ....so a doc told me 38-39 is the time where repeat c/s are booked ..

i think im so worried about needing to have labour this time round i was wanting to see if my body was ready and doing its thang .... but if you can go into labour with out a ripe cervix , then i may just wait ... ( i am totally naieve about labour!!)

but inductoion is an another issue too ...

but i totally get the word "elective" it is so wrong in many cases ....

i was at a party on the week end and so many people who didnt even know me asked what sort of birth i was having , c/s or vag .... one person just said are you going to have a ceaser .. as if it was an easy option ..... yeah its easy someone doing all the work to get baby out ... but it aint no picnic after that !!!!

[QUOTE=Tanstar;1302643]Mummatotwo- Im sorry about your hospital not being supportive hun. My VBAC will be 16 1/2 mths after I had my DD by emergency c/s and the hospital I am going to is supportive - they have said the risk of scar rupture is a TEENY bit higher but nothing significant or anything to worry about so it's interesting that they won't let you even attempt to labour. There isn't even any research done - most hospitals suggest 18mths gap but even then, people have vbac'd sucessfully with less of a gap. Is it too late to look at going elsewhere? Is that possible for you? I know it is late but it might very well be worth it if it means you avoid unecessary major surgery.

QUOTE]

"apparantly" this is a qld health regulation. which i just think is a crock!! its not fair
    plus, when the midwife told us the apparant risks, it totally panicked my dp, so he is in aggreeance with them, which doesnt help my fight does it.

Quote Originally Posted by ticklish View Post
    Mummatotwo - I understand the sadness of your decision for a repeat c-section. I too have strong opinions on VB but have never been able to achieve it. I firmly believe that every mother should be supported in her birthing choices no matter what decision she makes, so long as she is fully informed. I agree that the term elective is just so wrong. It implies a choice that we don't always have. I was bullied into the c-section first time round and given inaccurate information but they still called it elective!! Hope you find support for a maternal assisted c-section.

TICKLISH
    yep this is what i am pushing for, and the hospital seem quite happy with it. the thing is though, if i go into labour and have an "emergency" c section they will not do maternal assisted. because they only do MA on elective..

Quote Originally Posted by *charmalea* View Post
    i have no idea why the c/s is booked in for 39 weeks ... they actually like them to do them at 38 weeks ....so a doc told me 38-39 is the time where repeat c/s are booked ..

i think im so worried about needing to have labour this time round i was wanting to see if my body was ready and doing its thang .... but if you can go into labour with out a ripe cervix , then i may just wait ... ( i am totally naieve about labour!!)

but inductoion is an another issue too ...

but i totally get the word "elective" it is so wrong in many cases ....

i was at a party on the week end and so many people who didnt even know me asked what sort of birth i was having , c/s or vag .... one person just said are you going to have a ceaser .. as if it was an easy option ..... yeah its easy someone doing all the work to get baby out ... but it aint no picnic after that !!!!
    no its no picnic, and i am concerned about this, as i have a 18 month at home that i also have to care for. how do i pick him up a week after a c section?
    i wonder if i am entitled to meals on wheels or any assistance like that.
    i know i dont get midwife visits after the op as i live too far away. it seems like its all care and no responcibility

Charmalea - get a hold of New Active Birth hun - it is SO worth the read. If you can't get a copy, then read as many articles on here and elsewhere about the stages of labour etc. so that even if you do end up in a c/s you will know you go in knowing you have done everything you possibly can. Don't forget that nobody can make you do anything in hospital that you don't give consent to. Do not let them bully you into it and question everything. When in labour there are a number of books that recommend that before ANYTHING is done to you, you ask the following questions-
    WHAT? are you going to do and what will it do?
    WHY? are you going to do it
    WHAT? will happen if I say no now but maybe yes later???? I wish now that I remembered this in labour with Isabelle but I think that even with booking in a c/s that even if they say it is policy, you can qeustion why in other states and countries they let vbac'ers go longer (The answer is that there is NO proof or studies to show that the c/s needs to be booked so early) You can say no.

Read these articles (even if you have read them!) and print them off to take with you when you go to your next appointment hun. Check out the birthrites website which is absolutely fabulous.
    Uterine Rupture http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/vbac-vaginal-birth-after-caesarean
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/articles/birth/vbac-on-whose-terms
    Sorry I seem pushy hun, I just feel so passionately about all of this - Yep Im worried about what is going to happen for my VBAC - BUT I am doing absolutely everything I can to ensure I give it my best shot. Im going to have acupucture later on to try ot induce labour if I have'nt gone in spontaneously, I am exercising so that I am fit enough to have a very active birth, I am printing off reams of paper of info to give to my hospital if they even mention the words 40 weeks and C/S in the one breath. I know that my body is made to do this given a chance.

Mummatotwo - Im sorry your DH is worried too hun - get him to read the links above as well. Were you induced with your first??? Let him know that the risk of uterine rupture is the same for a first time induced mother as it is for us attempting VBAC. I know I wasn't told of the risks so why do they put such a fine point on it when we are going for a VBAC. Our risks of DYING or needing a hysterectomy, of baby being damaged and needing breathing assistance, need blood transfusions etc are all MAJOR risks of c/s - did the midwife go through those risk?? Nope, interesting isn't it.
    It is a hard choice to make hun regarding your maternal assisted c/s. Just remember that the rate of success for vbac in Australia is around 70-80% so you have a pretty good shot at it if you have good support people. I have the same concerns regarding my girl. She will be 16 1/2 mths when bub arrives and the thought of not being able to pick her up and look after her properly kills me. That is one of my main motivations to fight as much as I can and to educate myself as much as I can on VBAC because midwives and obs don't seem to be as concerned as I am of the much bigger risk associated with me having a c/s rather than having a birth.

Ticklish - It is hard not to just yell at people and make them realise what a traumatic and horrid experience c/s can be. They do seem to think it is the easy way out. My GF had her DD in Jan, and she used to say things like, Oh I don't want the pain in my vj so I might just end up telling them I want a c/s or induction etc - it was hard but I begged her not to, and kept reminding her of what I was like even 4 weeks post-op.

I feel like saying to people - if you had a choice, would you CHOOSE to have major abdominal surgery - like a hysterectomy, for no reason? ( I know some people have good reason and that is different) of course not and the same goes for women birthing after a c/s.

Gosh Im rambling on ladies - sorry, will get off my soapbox now, but I just really wanted to encourage you all because I feel like all 4 of us are in the same boat, with the same fears and are facing the same walls against us. I just feel that we DO have a choice. We are smart, educated women who care about our babies, our bodies and how we are going to bring these babies into world and I for one know I am not going to lie down (literally) and let them walk all over me for no reason.

to you all!!!!!! and if I have offended or overstepped here, I do apologise. Mods we are chatting about vbac and being a bit negative about c/s in a general chatter section so if you prefer we could move to a thread in the vbac section.

tanster, we are def on the same page.

if i had my way (which i should, its my body right?) then i would be hbing my baby with a doula and a independant middy. with hospital as a back up.

Nah, of course the middy at the hospital didnt speak of the risks involved with a c section. they never do. and i find that disguisting!
    i wasnt induced with ds, i went into spontanious labour at 40 weeks he was born by c section on his due date. i was in labour for 37 hours though, so i was tired, and the oxytocin was causign issues... again, they didnt tell me the risks with THAT either. but i wont vent about my past c section. i have done that for 18 months now, and to be honest, i am in an ok place about it i jsut want a positive gentle beautiful birth for this one.

SamanthaP Guest

There is no QLD Health regulation regarding spacing of births or anything like that. That's hospital bullying The oxytocin you're referring to is the same drug that is used in induction. So what Tanstar says is correct. Your risk of uterine rupture was just as high when you had that as it will be if you have a vaginal birth. It might help your DH to know that to keep things in perspective.

Hi ladies - I have read the posts in this thread and I am very interested in everything you have to say. I am likely to have a c-section at the very end of the year or early next year. I had an unplanned c-s with DS after being in hospital for 30 hours and being only 5cm dilated and the hormone drip used (can't remember the name) was putting bubs in distress. So that ended my only chance of delivering naturally. It was inconclusive as to the reason I needed a c-s - probably either due to bubs size (4.1kg) or my size or both. It was evident from DS's head after birth that he had been quite stuck. My c-s experience after that was very positive and I was lucky enough to recover relatively well after it. My reason to have another c-s is mainly motivated by the 1% risk of uterine scar rupture - while low it is still a risk. Also, I may have a predisposition to having big babies and don't want my bub to potentially be at risk. My ob is open to both options of VBAC and repeat c-s. So that's me in a nutshell. As I said, I am keen to learn all that anyone has to say on the subject so that I feel more readily informed. Thanks also for the links.

I've just had my first c-section (for medical reasons) after 3 vaginal deliveries.

Hopefully this won't go against the grain, but I had a positive, and empowering birth!!

I had to decide whether c-s was what I wanted which was the hardest part. In the end, either form of delivery carried risks (outside of the norm) for me and bubs so what I really needed was to be happy and feel confident about the choice I was making.

I nearly chickened out but duly showed up at the appointed time and went through with it. The day before I'd asked lots of questions about whether or not we would be seperated and for how long. I clearly stated my desire for my child not to leave me, that I wanted to be able to breastfeed straight away etc. In the end, bubs left my side (in hubby's arms) for about 10 minutes total and I was breastfeeding about 20 minutes after delivery which is about the same as after my vaginal deliveries.

I was very concerned about recovery but I was ready to get up less than 12 hours after. The staff made me wait till the next morning but I was on my feet just fine and in soooo much less pain than what I had anticipated. I left the hospital on day four and whilst I feel physically ready to resume my normal duties, I organised friends and family to help for the next four weeks and I'm determined to do as little as possible in that time to assist recovery.

I think I feel best of all that I made this decision, I accepted the risks and made my wishes clear and they were met. I simply cannot imagine how I would feel if the decision were forced upon me.

with regaruding MA c/s i think my hossy is still far behind the times to let me do something like that , but its something i will ask them at the 34 week visit , the coc told me by 36wks i must have my answer ... i have to do antenatal classes aswell .....

why do i live in a small country town !!

Hi ladies

Hope you don't mind if I join in your chatter. I really need to talk to some others who understand that c-s aren't an easy option and why I'm so dissapointed to be having one.

I'm having one after complications with my first delivery that left my DD with a permanant injury to her arm. There is a risk of it happening again, or worse. My only chance for a vag delivery is if I go into labour before 35 weeks. Not much chance of that and also not good for bubby. So I'm dealing with the c-s.

From what I've read on BB, I think I have a good hospital in that bubby always stays with the mother, even in recovery. If bubs needs to go into care, they have dad stay with bubs. I went to an information session on the weekend where a midwife and aneathatist went through the whole procedure, risks and all, so I feel well prepared. I'm also glad to read some positive c-s stories.

i had an ok c/s my recovery was fast , and had no complications , my c/s was for ds , his shoulder was in my plevis , not his head and the op went twice as long , they took him away and i didnt see him for about 1.5 hrs .... breastfeeding was hard ..

so the baby and mum side of things wasnt easy , but the op on my body went well ... does that make sense ??

Question

Hi there Ladies, I`ve had four vb`s all induced labours,little buggars didn`t want to come,but the 4 th birth of my son his shoulders got stuck upon delivery and had a great deal of trouble getting him out he wasn`t breathing either,it was very scary thing to go through,and because of this (shoulder displacia) my 5th son was delivered by my first c - section ,this was recommended by my Doctor who knew all my history about previous births,and even though i got through it ok,i felt a little down afterwards for not being able to try to deliver vaginally,but as my husband said at least we were both fine afterwards without the worry of the birth before.I didn`t like the slow recovery after the c-section,you are able to get back to doing so much more after a vb,but i was happy to have the rest time with my hubby stepping up to run the house,and he did a fine job too. I think us as woman should put ourselves and the health of our new borns first and don`t worry about what people say about the choice of birth we decide to go with,some people voice their opinions, but have never been put in the many situations that might happen and we have no controll over somethings,whether we like it or not. thanks ladies. Can someone please tell me why don`t Doctor`s recommend a vaginal delivery soon after you have had a c-section ? ,hubby would like to try for another (number 6) ,but i?m a little worried about the birth chioce,thats if i have a choice! THANKS.

with 5 kids , how can you even think about dtd to get another one LOL !!

I forgot to mention that I did have a down-side to my c-s. I truly believe that my ability to breast-feed my DS was compromised by my having had a c-s. My milk took ages to come in and DS was a "steak and chips" kid from the start and I had to suppliment from day 2 with formula. I breast-fed and formula-fed him for 10 weeks and then after 2 bouts of mastitis started weaning him off the breast. I just never produced enough milk for him. I'm fully aware that that could happen again with this bub but I think I'll be better prepared this time - last time it all came as a bit of a shock. Just assumed that big bbs meant I could breast-feed forever .

plc - Sorry to hear you had trouble breastfeeding hun. My milk took 5 days to comein and Iz was a sucker and big girl and was getting pretty frustrated. We too supplimented with formula until my milk came in and I fed her until 11 mths. We had issues with attachment for about 4 mths and I saw lots of people for help, like an LC at the hospital and child health centre and my MCHN. It is worth finding out what lactation support your hospital and CHC have before bub arrives. The ABA are also great - put the number on the fridge hun. As far as the risks go with rupture, the risks associated with a c/s are in some cases higher, and there are also many more things that can go wrong. Definately read up on the links included and check out the birthrites website.

MOM - The reason that most Dr's recommend that you wait around 18mths from one c/s to a vbac is that there is a slightly higher risk of your uterine rupture if there is a small gap, as your scar hasn't had time to fully heal. Having said that, not too many studies have been done to prove this and the increased risk is still pretty minimal compared to the risks to mother and baby in a c/s. You are exactly right about our choices - it is OUR choice and as mothers we all know that we want the absolute best for our babies and I know for me that means attempting VBAC. Hope that helps - ave a read of the links I posted in the previous post for Lea and ask any questions you might have. Find out what your hospital policies are regarding VBAC too.

Captain - Welcome hun! I know what you mean about having choices taken away and the disappointment that you feel by having the option to give birth naturally taken away from you. It sounds like your hospital is very supportive and definately write a c/s birth plan, including things like wanting skin to skin contact asap(some let you do that in surgery - others like my hospital, let me cuddle her in theatre and then had skin to skin and first feed in recovery). There are some great threads around with birth plans specifically for c/s - I will chase them up and post them for you.

As far as my c/s went, I had a pretty positive experience(the reasons for having it in the first place are what I have issues with). I had a great anaesthetist who quietly spoke to me and explained what they were doing at each step- especially as I was pretty panicked and scared going into theatre. Once she was born they let me announce what sex she was! (Hard to do with no contacts or glasses on! ) DH cut the cord and brought her straight over for cuddles. I had a midwife with me in recovery and she pushed for me to have skin to skin and the first b'feed immediately so that was great. Be aware that there isn't always a midwife available to do that - she told me if it got busy she would have to leave which really would have sucked. Being in recovery with Iz and DH was great, and the thought of being there for an hour on my own and not holding my baby would be horrible. Speak to your hospital about your options regarding these things - an independant midwife might be the answer. My recovery was ok, but I don't want to go through all of that again with a toddler. Just not being able to drive for 6 weeks ( I drove at 3 1/2 ) was tough too.

Hotkim - that is great that you were able to have an empowered birth by c/s! I think the key is being educated and informed and making those decisions based on that!!

Mummatotwo! - I would love to have a HBAC - I just cannot do anything to convince DH that it is actually our safest option. I keep imagining myself having a beautiful quiet(well maybe SOME noise during labour ) water birth in my lounge room, and then crawling into my lovely bed with my new gorgeous man and having beautiful cuddles there. Awwwww to have a DH that supported that - don't get me wrong, he is sooo supportive but is scared that I will be in too much pain, or that there will be probs with bubby that don't get picked up etc. I suppose after seeing me labour for 36 hours last time and ending in c/s has left a few scars for him too. Instead I am going to educate my hospital on what I want and need for MY birth because it is my choice at the end of the day and nobody can give consent but me!

Lea- hun - it must be hard for you trying to decide what to do. Just remember it is YOUR birth hun, and you can educate yourself and your carers - print off everything you can find to do with VBAC so that you can refer to them when you have appointments and be firm prior to going into labour. I posted recently about all the doubts and fears I have too so I do know how confusing and hard it is too hun.
    SamanthaP - thanks for popping in with the info hun!

I have rambled on and on again ladies so sorry. Tell me when to pull my head in!
    Last edited by Beach Mama; June 24th, 2008 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SamanthaP View Post
    There is no QLD Health regulation regarding spacing of births or anything like that. That's hospital bullying The oxytocin you're referring to is the same drug that is used in induction. So what Tanstar says is correct. Your risk of uterine rupture was just as high when you had that as it will be if you have a vaginal birth. It might help your DH to know that to keep things in perspective.
    yes i realise that its the same drug.

Not trying to sound rude, but how do you know there isnt and QLD health regulation? I would like facts on this, evidence to support my case

Ok, have a question about spinals for you girls.. I just got some paperwork from the anaesthetist explaining it all, and I was wondering how much do you actually feel with the spinal? I know you have the local injection first, then the spinal, but I can't remember any of it with DD as I was so tired and spaced out and in the middle of contractions!

Nic

Hi ladies!!

I have been reading this thread and i need to vent my loong story!!

I have previously lost two babies... a little boy at 18 weeks due to abnormalities which i was induced for-and a littl girl at 35 weeks after a placental abruption which they did an emerecy c section in an attempt to save her. I have no babies whohave made it successfully into this world... yet.

I am pregnant again now- 32 weeks and at the start of my pregnancy i was set on another csection- planned delivery.. no suprises... pead on standby- even getting bubs out a tad early to reduce my stressfull and anxious wait yadda yadda yadda.. then i saw the High risk OB and he put the idea of a VBAC in my head- the hospital i am going to supports them and he thought it would be a fine idea. I was unconvinced at first- but then at every drs appt at the hospital the mid wives would encourage me to consider a VBAC-i slowly started thinking about it seriously and by about 20 weeks i had decided i was willing to give it a go. So i have spent the last 12 weeks researching and looking forward to my VBAC-

Yesterday i see the same Dr i saw at the start of my pregnancy and he has now decided there is NO WAY i can have a VBAC and basically looked at me like i was an idiot for even considering it- when HE put the idea in my head to begin with!! Now i know that the risk is high for me to abrupt again-it has only been 18 months since my emergency c section and i HAVE abrupted before-and its not a hard choice for me to go back to my safe planned c section that i WANTED in the first place- i just dont like the way they chop and changed their minds like it has no effect on my emotional and mental wellbeing. When i WANTED the c section- they tell me-dont rule out VBAC- so then i decide ok- i will go with this positive frame of mind and go with a VBAC- and then they tell me i will be having the c section. GGRRRR

Sorry for my vent- i guess long story short im going for the c section and i would like any info on maternally assisted c sections or things i can request that i want such as skinto skin contact ASAP and bfeeding and what sort of anethetic i can have. Since i have spent the last 3 months preparing for natural birth- havent done much looking into what goes on with elective c section... and there isnt muchtime left!!!

TIA for any advice

SB
    xoxox

Star Bright - I can understand your frustration at your ob changing his mind... how annoying hun.
    There were a few threads floating around a while ago about c/s birth plans and specific things you can put on there. I think the birth plan article on the BB main page might have a c/s section as well. Will try to chase them up for you.

Nic - Not too sure about the spinal hun, because when I had mine I had an epidural first and nearly fell off the table because I couldn't feel a thing. I've had locals galore though ( walked through a glass door ) and they feel like a tiny mozzie bit - a bit uncomfy but not painful as such, I would say getting blood taken is more painful. Once the spinal was done I remember them rubbing ice over me and asking if I could feel it- odd sensation but I couldn't feel a thing up to my bb's! and then I could gradually feel the cold from the ice. HtH! hun! Good luck - not long to go!!!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast