Thread: How acupuncture can help caesarean scars

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default How acupuncture can help caesarean scars

We're talking about this in another thread so I thought I would start a topic in here, I was really interested in it when Cailin was having acupuncture in BB and was told that it could help, so there you go! Here's from two of BB's acupuncturists:

Acupuncture helps to increase the blood and qi flow to the area and surrounding tissue and can help break up adhesions. *Scars are thick fibrous tissue that get little blood flow the scar and to get blood flowing to the area the healing of the scar and surrounding tissue. Treatment can involve needling directly into the scar tissue to help break up adhesions or can be inserted next to the scar angled toward the scar so that it penetrates the layers beneath the surface of the scar (under the scar - where the scar tissue is forming). *Massaging the scar every day will also help to keep the blood and qi moving in the area. The scar will not totally disappear, but there will be visible changes over time and the scarring will usually not be as thick or fibrous.

Sharmaine Parsell
    Acupuncture helps with scars by facilitating the flow of Qi and blood to the area around and under the scar. Thereby diminishing the total area effected by the scar tissue. Energetically this is very important as a scar represents a type of stagnation and the concept of meridian theory requires gentle, harmonious, uninterrupted movement of qi and blood throughout and around the body.

Justin Keane
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

So, does this only work when the wound is still fresh, or can you expect improvement even with a scar that's a couple of years old?

Would this be an aid for VBAC, meaning that it would reduce the risk of rupture? Would you know how often this would need to be done and over what period of time? Just curious as to wether it would be a long term thing.

I have had accupuncture before for other reasons and I think it is very benefical, if this could increase my chances of a VBAC and decrease my chances of rupture then I would seriously consider it. Along with the fact that the scar is actually numb so I wouldn't feel it initally anyway, I suppose due to the increased blood flow it would bring would mean that you may be able to get your feeling back to these now numbed areas?

Sorry that was a bit of a thinking it over in my head, but if anyone does have any answers please share.

Deanne.

Marydean,
    yes this acupuncture treatment is designed for old wounds, for existing scars.

Matilds mummy,
    yes this treatment is often used to aid in VBAC as the existing scar can be seen as an energetic block to the descending of qi. I know of no study that shows reduced incidence of rupture, however by increasing blood flow to the area around the scar, the surrounding tissue would be more responsive to the movement (stretching) encountered when bub finds the way out!
    I find this treatment easier to do earlier (late 2nd tri- onwards) in the pregnancy as the scar is more accessible. It can also be done before conception of the next bub.
    Yes according to principles of TCM sensitivity to touch would increase with blood flow. I hope this answers your questions!

Default Acupuncture

This ancient art has been a blessing for people for centuries because of its ease in practicing and its instant benefits without major medications and surgery, but still its fllest potential has not been understood yet it seems

Happy NYR Everyone!
    Yes Maxi it would seem as though there are many things still to understand in terms of mechanism of action of acupuncture from a western medical science viewpoint (esp. the psychological aspect), and I think we will have to wait some years for the great minds in the fields of physics and chemistry to imbibe us with a scientific explanation, however within the philosophic framework of Chinese medical science, the practice of this artform is deeply understood, due to its being the longest continually practiced (+2 millennia) and recorded system of medicine on our planet! It is a treasure of the human race and something we can be genuinely proud of!
    Last edited by Justin Keane; January 1st, 2009 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Keane View Post
    Marydean,
    yes this acupuncture treatment is designed for old wounds, for existing scars.

Matilds mummy,
    yes this treatment is often used to aid in VBAC as the existing scar can be seen as an energetic block to the descending of qi. I know of no study that shows reduced incidence of rupture, however by increasing blood flow to the area around the scar, the surrounding tissue would be more responsive to the movement (stretching) encountered when bub finds the way out!
    I find this treatment easier to do earlier (late 2nd tri- onwards) in the pregnancy as the scar is more accessible. It can also be done before conception of the next bub.
    Yes according to principles of TCM sensitivity to touch would increase with blood flow. I hope this answers your questions!

Hi Justin,

To aid in a VBAC, when would you recommend starting acupuncture? How early before conception?? And how often??

Hi Hippiemummy,
    I would like to begin scar treatment asap, the reason for this are that scars form differently in different ppl in terms of the amount of scar tissue. One of the reasons for this is the differing amounts of particular proteins in the body. This is something to take into account b/c when combined with the speed at which you repond to acupuncture we can then determine likely treatment duration/frequency etc. I realise this doesn't answer your qns hippiemummy so a ballpark figure may be something like 10-15 weekly treatments, It would be ideal to combine the treatment with pre-conception care.

Chinese Medicone / Accupuncture and herbs have been brilliant to help me with effects of pregnancy, I am having a ceserean and will use accupuncture afterwards to help the healing process. I don't know how it all works, but I know it just does - and I've never had to get it done over long periods of time, it works quite quickly.