Thread: May need a caesarean for my twins

Default May need a caesarean for my twins

Right I have 4ish weeks for twin a to turn heads down so that I can have a vaginal birth, but at this point both twins are either breech or transverse and the Ob has started to mention that by 32 weeks they will have run out of room to turn.

So now after 6 vaginal births I have to look at the facts that I'm looking very likely to have a c-sect. So I need to know what happens in the operation, I'm a very need to know details person. I also would like to know what can and can't be done as I'm trying to write up my birth plan. Also I would like to know with an elective c-sect how do you pick your childs birth date, it just feels wrong to me at this point.

Thank you in advance.

No advice but I wanted to give you a hug xo
    I can imagine that its a lot to try and get your head around ! Xo

Generally you will only get to pick from certain dates depending on when your Ob has a list in theatre. You may even be allocated a date.

In my experience (3 of my own and numerous as a scrub sister) it generally goes like this;

Book in in the ward, paperwork etc, given a gown. Sometimes asked to shower in a special solution and shave the pubis. IV inserted either here or in the theatre prior.
    When your time on the list comes a wardsman will come to collect you.
    In the theatre the anaesthetic nurse for your theatre will check you in and run through a couple of checklists.
    You will then be wheeled into either the aneasthetic bay or theatre itself. Generally quite cool in there, don't be alarmed, its better for less bugs.
    IV inserted either here or in the ward prior.
    Spinal will then be done. (can insert more details if you'd like but they will run through it with you before hand)
    In the theatre there is generally the anaesthetist and his/her nurse and sometimes registrar, the surgeon, his/her registrar/student, scrub sister, scout nurse, midwife, pead. YOu will possibly have double this due to 2 bubs. It's busy.
    They will pop you on the table. It feels kinda uncomfortable at first but then the spinal kicks in. THey do tip you on an odd angle which feels like you'll slide off, but you won't. Insert catheter.
    THey will do a little test to see that the spinal has kicked in and then they will start prepping and draping. You will have your arms out on a board with a BP cuff on. Your DH will sit on a stool near your head.
    They will pop a screen up in front of both of you and then they will start.
    10-15 minutes and your bubs will be born.
    Both will be checked over and generally if all OK will be wrapped up and brought to you.
    They will stitch you up (30-60 minutes) then you will all go to recovery.

THIS thread might also be useful

Speak to your hossy as to what they will and won't allow. Every single one is different.

Mine was exactly as Kim described. All going according to plan they are a relatively easy and it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere. As for picking the date we where just given a date closest to 38wks and asked if this suited. Obs normally have a set day that they operate on and they don't like to let you go to far over 38wks.

Afterwards they will normally allow you skin to skin in recovery and try and get you to breastfeed. They will also get you up and about first thing the next morning. The quicker you get moving the quicker your recovery starts. Much better for you to get moving sooner.

No advice sorry Amanda as I haven't been in your position before but just wanted to say how happy I am for you that you are finally getting not just one little baby girl, but TWO it's so exciting!!

I hope it all works out and the cheeky bugger turns so you can have a natural birth

Depending on the ob and the hossy there are several options. Research and look into whether you want, and your hossy/ob can do, any of the following:

I've heard you may be able to have a choice between spinal, epi or a combination...not sure about this one though
    Screen down or a mirror placed if you/hubby want to see what's going on
    Choice of music playing
    Let you start labour naturally before doing the CS
    Maternally assisted CS
    Delayed cord clamping
    Letting hubby cut the cord
    Immediate skin to skin (ie all checks done while bubs are on you)
    Hubby to be with bubs while checks are done if they need to be taken away (to another room or within the room)
    Breastfeed while being stitched up

Fingers crossed that one of your bubs turns soon, and stays that way

as these are not your first babies, I wwould question whether the 32 week limit for turning still applies. it is often said that single babies won't turn after 37 or whatever weeks, but they still do, even large babies.

I would certainly looking into all options, but still hopeful that at least twin a was able to turn.

good luck

ETA- there is a Facebook group Breech birth Australia and New Zealand that has women who had both vb and cs. they also have resources on breech and may have info on twins oe be able to direct you to the right place.
    Last edited by HotI; October 19th, 2013 at 11:12 AM.

Hi, I have had 2 c/s. Both in a private hospital and chose my anaethetist and requested a spinal. DP was with me at a ll times except for a short time when I was having the spinal and IV inserted and urinary catheter once spinal set in (in theatre) and he was changing into scrubs. I was pretty upset both times but everyone was so kind and compassionate. Had oxygen mask, heart rate and oxygen levels monitored throughout. OB talked through what he was doing, own music played throughout operation, DP and paed took photos, no video allowed in our hospital. Once baby out they held him up for me to see and then in the same room and with DP , check them over and DP cut cord. Both times we requested the placenta - no probs. skin to skin while in theatre with some extra blankets on top. Transferred to recovery as a family, first feed and weigh. After 1/2hr, t/f to ward. I have been shaky and itchy post op both times, medication reaction. No nausea, dizzy etc. I am not one to be waited on so request as much pain relief as possible so I can get moving (carefully) ASAP. Co-slept so that I didn't have to twist, reach for bubs overnight or wait for midwife to come. Lots of feeding to bring in milk. Catheter out next morning, up and showered etc. best advice is to stand up straight immediately, if you crunch over, it really hurts to stand up straight when you need to. Introduce bub to all the family! The choosing a date is weird, I really struggled with the first but asked for the latest date possible 38+4, went for a VB AC second time around and was 41+5. Looking toward another c/s in March and have asked for latest date again, probably 39 weeks. I hope bub turns, good luck!

Hi Amanda, I'm a member of the breech fb page. It has so much info and support in there. I birthed my singleton breech vaginally 10 weeks ago. Having 6 previous vaginal births, you'd be a good candidate for a vbb. If you'd like to know any more I'm happy to help.

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaJ View Post
    Right I have 4ish weeks for twin a to turn heads down so that I can have a vaginal birth, but at this point both twins are either breech or transverse and the Ob has started to mention that by 32 weeks they will have run out of room to turn.

So now after 6 vaginal births I have to look at the facts that I'm looking very likely to have a c-sect. So I need to know what happens in the operation, I'm a very need to know details person. I also would like to know what can and can't be done as I'm trying to write up my birth plan. Also I would like to know with an elective c-sect how do you pick your childs birth date, it just feels wrong to me at this point.

Thank you in advance.
    You said the dr thinks they will run out of room - choosing the date might sort of be taken out of your hands if that makes sense. The dr (if you are taking his/her advice) might give you a choice of only one or two days and so it's not so hard. I do have a mum in my mothers group who was scheduled for a cs and she changed to the day before because her mother told her the original date was bad luck!!

Also my hospital had a full spread fact sheet what cs involved and what choices (if any) you had and lots and lots of other information.

I had a breech baby and was incredibly reluctant to have a cs and I knew nothing about them. I found the hospitals information helpful as well as a nurse there who I rang regarding how to cope with the situation, she talk to me about a few. It was easier than spending hours on the internet getting upset!

PP'd have given some great advice. Also Look up a mother / baby friendly caesarean on Google or youtube.

Hospital staff will tell you how they usually do things. This is based on a combination of medical evidence as well as their policies, procedures, routines and traditions. If you want something different to 'standard procedure' there is no reason you can't educate them to do it differently. Some parts of surgery are necessary for the health and safety of the mother and baby and some parts are done just out of tradition ('this is how we always do it'), for example, skin to skin contact immediately following a caesarean birth is not typically the 'done thing' in Australian hospitals, as babies are whisked off to be weighed, measured and cleaned. This doesn't mean that it is the better way, or the safer way of doing it just because that is what is typically done.

Good luck with everything! I attempted a vaginal birth of a single breech baby, and ended up with a c section as baby was not descending, I hope your babies are more cooperative than mine was!

Oh, Amanda, I wish you the best in your researchings!
    If close to the date they really put the pressure on and you need to look at the c-section scenario you will be all worded up and be able to have a birth plan that still respects what you want to have happen right afterwards, so that you have a beautiful birth.
    Let the doctors' words wash over you, do your own research and go easy on yourself, please xxx
    (you may not recognise my new username, and if you don't I'm the Junie who did HypnoBirthing )