Thread: planned c at Swan District Hospital

Default planned c at Swan District Hospital

Just wondering if anyone has had a scheduled caesearean at Swan District Hospital in Perth before? I am really interested in your experiences. I'm having one in a few weeks and I'm finding that the OB's aren't telling me anything! Luckily (lol) I've had one before so I know what questions to ask, and specifically what my preferences are, For example I have asked about EBM storage facililities so that I can have some on hand in case I am unable to feed after the surgery. They doc and midwife seemed really confused about that and wondered why I didn't want them to feed my child formula!
    Any thoughts would be appreciated

I haven't personally but a kindy mum delivered there via planned c-section last year just before I had my third. It was her hospital of choice and she was very happy with the way everything went.

This is a gross generalisation, but the surrounding area is a fairly low socio-economic area so it could be that unfortunately there aren't many pregnant woman as well educated as you are, so the question about EBM is perhaps one they've never heard before. After talking with the CHN in an area close by it seems the rates of breastfeeding out this way aren't overly high.

Good luck with your birth.

Swans is pretty **** for breastfeeding support, so I don't find that surprising, unfortunately. I'm not sure it has anything to do with the socioeconomic status of women in the area, so much as a complete lack of emphasis on breastfeeding support and education.
    I found the midwives there are really good, but didn't get a great impression of the few OBs I met. The one who helped deliver DD seemed alright, but the others....

Anyway, I suggest you arm yourself with literature, a strong will, written instructions for your carers and a gatekeeper - someone who can stay with your baby if you can't and make sure they do what you want them to. Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

Thanks for the comments MadB and LuluHB. I've not been too keen on the OB's I've met so far either, but as this is B2 its not such a drama as I know whats going on. Would hate to be a first time mum going through the public system here, its terribly convoluted and frustrating. I really liked one of the OB's that I met up in the maternity ward one day but I'm yet to see him in the antenatal clinic. As you say MadB, the midwives are good though.... they really are the saving grace of the hospital I think.