Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Positive elective c/s stories??

Question Positive elective c/s stories??

I'm sure they are out there but I can't seem to find them through the search engine. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I've read more than enough 'horror stories' and want to get some balance.

Thanks

Default Re: Positive elective c/s stories??

I have two... Will find my story for you when I log on properly later.

ETA - Ok... here is a link to my birth story from DS 1. I am happy to chat re elective sections if you like. I did try for a vbac with DS2, but things did not happen, so I had another section for him, and it was as good a the first.

Let me know if you have any questions. And good luck with your birth. xo
    Last edited by rufalina; February 19th, 2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: Add link

Here's mine.

I had mine booked when my waters broke.

Positive experience here...I sometimes feel there is an unwritten rule that you're not allowed to say that but I did have one!

After a difficult and traumatic VB with DD1 I weighed up options, did lots of reading and followed my heart to an elective C-section and never looked back! I healed quickly and recovery was good. Pain was very well managed initially by the hospital and then I stopped the meds after 4 days as I felt I didn't need anything. It was all very cruisey - very different from my first experience.

People always want to know about the scar and yes that healed really well for me (depends on your surgeon's skill too).

Good luck with yours and keep trying to find a balanced view on this issue.

Wow! Thanks girls. It's a relief to read some happy c/s stories. It would be really good if there was a place for positive c/s stories within the birth stories section. They are, after all, still as valid a birth story as any other

Sophia - I also had a traumatic VB with DD (which took months to heal) and after much reading and discussion with DH we decided an elective c/s best this time for many reasons. I feel very empowered in having made this decision for my baby and myself. However, like you mentioned I feel like this is often seen as less acceptable in some people's eyes. I've been thinking that the amount of c/s horror stories can't be statistically indicative of how it is. I think maybe women that had a difficult c/s have a greater need to talk it through to help them process it, which I can totally understand after my VB.

rufalina - I've heard a few ladies mention the blood tests that are done before a c/s but no-one has mentioned these to me yet. Should I ask at my next appt? Do you know what they are testing for?

Also any suggestions for the best pain relief after? I know from previous surgery I've had that morphine makes me very drowsy and I want to be with it after the wee guy arrives so I can get straight on to breast feeding. I realise that any narcotic will probably make me a bit sleepy and I'll probably need something like this to begin with but I'm keen to minimize this as much as possible, kwim?

Jandals I had a very positive anaesthetic story. Make sure you speak to the anaesthetist in depth before hand and explain to him exactly what you want.
    I didn't cope with morphine the first time, so with Nate had a fentanyl based spinal and PCA, with as much ondansetron as I needed - much better experience.

Also the feeding thing. With DD's c/sec it was my first bub so I trusted the m/w suggestion of routine feeding. I had no milk until day 6. With the little guy I fed and fed and fed everytime he squwarked - milk on day 2

I just had a C section 15 days ago and as much as I was anxious going into it, in hindsight it was the best experience. I had the best team as in anaethetist, obstetrician and paediatrician and to be perfectly honest if we were to go for number two I would lean heavily towards another c-section as my birthing method of choice. the recovery has been remarkably easy, pain relief included morphine by tablets for the first two days but it was a form of morphine that is slow release over twelve hours and I found it didnt make me as fluffy in the head as standard endone does. I was able to express straight away (my little man had to spend a couple of days in special care for unrelated issues and was unable to be put to the breast straight away).

I was able to get out of bed as soon as the catheter came out about 16 hours after the op.....that first day movement was limited to assisted visits to the toilet and wheelchair visits to my little man in the SCN but the next day I had pretty much full mobility back.....I was even able to cut my toenails the day after which was awesome cos thay had been driving me insane for a couple of weeks before...LOL.
    I came home on day 6 taking only nurofen plus and panadol for pain relief and have only needed that maybe once a day as you get a bit tired as the day wears on type thing...now 15 days on the wound just looks like a scar and the pain is just twinges if I move too quickly in a certain direction type of thing....

I certainly do not feel like I missed out on anything but not going through labour....for me it was definitely an empowered c-section birth....hope that helps hun.....

Jandals, I just wanted to say a big good on you for reading, researching, discussing, and making an informed decision that favours you and your baby the most. Many people will tell you that elective c/s are bad, I think it is just lovely to read about tour decision. I hope the birth of your baby is everything you wish it to be and more; empowering, beautiful, joyous

Oh thanks PumpkinZulu Although I'm very content with my decision, and those that frown on elective c/s don't upset me, it's always nice to have others let me know they are understanding and supportive of my choice. I'm totally going in to the experience with a positive and informed attitude; believing it will be an amazing experience for me and DH but knowing there are risks that may not be able to be avoided (as there are with a VB too).

melbel - your story sounds great! And wow to being able to cut your toenails

That makes me think of another question I had. The info pack I was given said I have to remove all nail polish Do they realise how long it's been since I've had naked toenails?! Does anyone know why they don't like painted nails in surgery?

Kim - thanks for the pain relief info. I'm hoping that I will have an anaesthetist that I know - just have to ask him if he can be available for me on the day. I had a few probs with an epidural when I had DD so it's something I'm a little nervous about and I'd feel much more relaxed if he could be there. I demand fed DD and didn't have any trouble with milk coming in or feeding but I know it can be a little slower for some women after a c/s so I'll be sure to have the boobies ready to go anytime!

It seems one of the best things to do to help recovery is to get up and moving as soon as you can after. Did you all find that? I can't imagine wanting to stay in bed for too long anyway. I'll be wanting to do as much for the baby as I can and I'm guessing I'll probably also want a shower as soon as possible?

You guys are great! So much help
    Last edited by Jandals; February 19th, 2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: sp

They don't like painted nails in surgery because they can't get accurate readings through the O2 monitor that they clip to your finger if there is nail polish in the way....even clear nail polish affects the reception. Also if there is chipping of the nail poilish etc it can pose a hypothetical infection risk ......

Fingernails definitely need to be polish free.....toes can possibly be negotiated depending on who is doing the operation etc....

Thanks melbel! I think I'll just suck it up and have naked toenails. Don't want the medical team to flip out over my bright red toenails And all going well I'll be able to reach to paint them again soon after. Oh how novel that will be after all these months!

I have had 3 very positive C/S. One tip. When you go to recovery ask them to semi sit you up and put oxygen on. With my last c/s the recovery nurse did this and explained it helps the epidural go out of your system faster and it did. I had feeling back in under 2 hours and was able to stand after 5 hours.

If you have any other question feel free to ask..

The BT that the hospital will do are, I think, for blood type and cross match must be done within 24hrs of the surgery, by the hospital. You cant get them sooner, cause I asked. They are different to what your OB will test for.

I had a spinal, with an epidural. They put in the epidural jic there was an issue with the spinal. And remember that you will be out of pocket a bit for the anesthetics...

I think that we need to remember that while we have had positive section experiences, some people find themselves faced with a section that they were not expecting and it can be quite traumatic for them. I still try to be a bit sensitive when discussing them...

Ive had 4 so have had both good and bad.

My best c/s was with Mini me...c/s number 3. I was booked in but went into early labour a week early. 2 hours later a very groggy maz was ringing family in recovery to tel them that a little girl had entered the world

I had a GA as my spine wont allow an epi or spinal needle in. I# hours after her birth I was up, showered and ready to go . I had absolutely NO PAIN!!!! I felt like I had gone to sleep and woken up and all of a sudden there was this baby. I never had any pain in my tummy area at all. No pain relief was needed. I was on a high to say the least.

With my other 3 c/s I have been awake and back up walking around within 3 hours of having my babies. Ive never really needed pain relief after that 3 hour mark and I was fully mobile again. I remember bathing Mario (ds2) 4 hours after having him.

I think a great team and doctors who listen to you help. Not all c/s end up happy ....no even if we go into them thinking the best. Its wondeful to hear such positive stories about fantastic and enpowering c/s's...but please dont think that if yourve had one that your next one will be just as fantastic. As every birth is different so to are c/s and peoples reactions to their c/s is also the same. Ruf said it perfect.....you still need to be sensitive to others births. Dont be affraid to tell your 'team' what you want...even though its a c/s make a birth plan that you'll be happy with.

OH an for the nail polish thing..I ahve gel over the top of my toe nails (like gel finger nails) and I could leave it on as its only an emergency I was told that the beeper thing gets put on your toe's.

Blood tests for any op are done 24 hours prior to surgery so you'll more then likely get your referral soon.

Good luck hon

aussienic - thanks for the tips for recovery. It's all the little details that can make a big difference aye?

rufalina - I didn't intend any of what I've written to be insensitive to those women that have had a traumatic c/s experience. After a very traumatic VB I do understand that things don't always go to plan and I feel that I have prepared myself (as much as it's possible to) for the fact that this c/s may not be the positive experience I'm hoping for. However, as I stated in my first post the whole purpose of me asking for positive c/s stories was to get some balance as I have read and heard about many negative c/s births. I guess I thought this was the place to discuss such things, and why I was careful to put 'positive c/s stories' as the title. Out of curiosity, what was it I said that you read as being insensitive?

To any ladies out there that have had an unexpected/unwanted/traumatic c/s please don't think I'm not sensitive to your experiences. The truth is in fact the very opposite which is why I requested some positive stories to help me reduce the anxiety factor for me going in to a c/s.

In my humble opinion we need to be very careful not to keep certain topics almost as a 'taboo' because of the risk of upsetting others. I would be horrified to think that someone that had had a wonderful and empowering VB felt she could not share her experience for fear of being insensitive to someone like me that had a very traumatic VB. And in my mind, the same goes for c/s. I know this can be a very controversial topic as emotions are raw for many women surrounding disappointing births. Something I have first-hand experience with.

maz - I hope to be up and moving as quickly afterwards as you were! That's pretty remarkable considering you have to have GAs. And maybe I'll ask about the toenails at my next appt

I'm going through the public system so maybe things are done differently with the blood tests? I'll check with the midwife at my next appt.

Thanks for all your comments. And keep the stories coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Jandals View Post

In my humble opinion we need to be very careful not to keep certain topics almost as a 'taboo' because of the risk of upsetting others. I would be horrified to think that someone that had had a wonderful and empowering VB felt she could not share her experience for fear of being insensitive to someone like me that had a very traumatic VB. And in my mind, the same goes for c/s. I know this can be a very controversial topic as emotions are raw for many women surrounding disappointing births. Something I have first-hand experience with.
    Im sorry if I come across as saying to keep them taboo, it snot what I ment at all...but you wouldnt go up to a friend who you know had a terrible c/s were her baby /herself almost died and say something like

I dont know what all the fuss is about, my c/s was a piece of cake

Thats what I mean about tact factor hon.

Im all for telling it as it is hon and if someone has had a truely empowering c/s then I want to hear it .

Ahhhh, ok. So were you mentioning the sensitivity thing for me to keep in mind for after the c/s? Sorry! I have baby brain Just trying to figure out how or if the need to be tactful about our birth stories relates more to a c/s than a VB?

What I'm about to say could get me yelled at but here goes...it seems to me that there can be a bit of an attitude out there (not directing this at any of you that have posted in here) that a traumatic c/s requires more compassion/sympathy/tact etc than a traumatic VB. Shouldn't every birth story be treated with sensitivity and seen as a unique experience for that woman? And the way that the woman feels about her birth be what dictates how we respond to her and her story? I think it's really important for a Mum to feel heard and to have the opportunity to talk/work through her experience and for her to be responded to in a sensitive manner regardless of the 'mode of birth'.

I also think it's important that this is seen as a separate issue to what my original post was about, which was me seeking some balance regarding c/s stories
    Last edited by Jandals; February 20th, 2010 at 01:37 PM. Reason: sp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast