Thread: recovery from csection under general?

Question recovery from csection under general?

Just had a few questions about how you recovered.

This has been a rough recovery, 10 days on and I'm still having panadol and nurofen most days. I can't stand for too long or else I get a searing pain in my scar.

I also have massive amounts of muscle pain - up both sides of my abdomen and towards the centre of my belly - and it feels all weird, almost like things are in the wrong place. Plus my bladder and bowel don't feel quite like they did before, like they've been traumatized or something LOL

It was an emergency csection with placental abruption and uterine rupture so I know they wouldn't have been particularly gentle with me as they would have been in a hurry to save both of us - but is feeling like this normal?

I'm going to the gp tomorrow anyway but just thought I would reach out for some words of comfort before I freak out too much...

My CS wasn't under general, but I had a loooong recovery too. It took me two weeks before I could stand long enough to change DS. I was off pain meds after about 8 days, but still had very sore muscles for weeks afterwards. I used to hold my side abdominal muscles with my hands when i walked as they felt like they were moving around all over the place without the support - however it was really tender near my scar too. Bowel and bladder control was virtually nonexistent for a good week after, and felt 'off' for about a month. I needed the full 6 weeks to be able to drive, and I still got stabbing pains when I put my foot on the accelerator.

Not sure if that's particularly reassuring for you, but hopefully makes you feel like you're not alone....when I had DS, no one really 'got' how much pain I was in. Even those who'd had CS were up and about quickly and no one seemed to have experienced the pain I did. Take it easy and look after yourself x

Thanks, that does make me feel better. My belly just feel so firm, like all my guts have come out of place and pushing out my belly again. Its weird, and freaky, and tender and I don't like it!

My other section recoveries were nothing like this, but they weren't exactly done in the same circumstances.

Thanks for answering

My section after DS was similar. I tried to stop the pain meds early but realised it was a sucky idea. My bladder was really odd for weeks later. I couldn't feel it at all. They said it was the trauma of a rough surgery.

Thanks Kim

My back pain has gone at least this morning - I just can't believe how sore I still am. Its incredible.

The back pain could have been from all the air trapped in your belly too. Sometimes it takes 10 or so days.

I've been thinking of you. You know where I am if you need it. I think you could have been right all those weeks ago.

The other thing is huni is they would have removed scarred tissue and more will redevelop...I remember when I had my appendix out and they went through the old scar the pain was tight for about 2 weeks and that was nothing like your situation. Keep a eye on the bladder bowel etc. I hope it eases....Iv had multiple surgeries and have been told I need a c-sect and I'm dreading it and I'm not pregnant yet. Im so glad you and bub are doing ok....Much love to you xxxxx

I had an emergency c section with DD and lost a lot of blood. I remember feeling like you describe. I say try to go easy on yourself and keep up the pain relief. Hope you feel better soon x

Thanks everyone

Kim - I did think of that but figured there would have been some blood loss during pregnancy if that was the case? Dunno if my theory is correct though.

Mine was like a tiny wipe. You may not have even noticed it. I only did because I was using a white towel.

Hmmm. Interesting :-/

How are things going for you now Arimeh? Any improvements? What did your doctor say?
    I have no personal experience with c-section recovery, but I just wanted to offer a and hope you're feeling better! My mom had 8 sections and she said the recovery was different each time. Sometimes the gas pain and stomach issues were awful.