Thread: Sex After Caesarean Section - When Did You Have Sex?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Sex After Caesarean Section - When Did You Have Sex?

Hey everyone,

I'm writing an article on sex after caesarean section, and was wondering if anyone would like to contribute any stories of when they resumed sex after caesarean, any issues they had (or didn't have) and any advice for other women post-caesarean?

Thank you
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I think it was around the 6 week mark and psychologically and physically I found it easier than resuming sex after a vaginal birth. About the only positive thing regarding my c/s.

I can't remember exactly when, but it was sooner than the 6 week mark. No issues at all.

In comparison, I'm 7.5 weeks postpartum VBA2C and yet to resume DTD (episiotomy forceps delivery!).

Prior to six weeks for sex. Playing without penetration after a few weeks. Decided to go the whole way a few days before six week check up in case anything was amiss.

Only advice I was given that I'd give again is to go slow and do it in your own time. Don't let your partner pressure you into it if you're not ready (irrespective of delivery type)and to make sure you're very aroused or use lune, especially if breast feeding.

6 weeks both times. this time I honestly didn't feel ready but DP was hassling me. he seems to think because I didn't push a baby out I should be fine. :/

Ten days for the first. 17 for the second. And this was my choice.

Take it slow and use lube if you need. Choose position carefully

Geez, I am out of the 'norm' then! - 9 months pp..... (goes and hides now!) It wasn't from the c-sect though, more too tired, leaking breasts, didn't want to fall pg (DH won't use condoms and I refused to take the mini pill or use anything else), so DH got the 'snip' then its been all systems go - LOL!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thanks everyone! What advice/timeframe did your doctors/midwives give you?
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I think it was about the same time as the post-partum bleeding stopped.
    It was certainly easier than getting back in the saddle after a vaginal birth.

I didn't bleed much, was distressed at our daughter being so sick, needed closeness, so it was 6 days PP much to DH's disgust.
    Was a bit painful, but i was drugged out of my head on painkillers so didn't feel too much.

Big mistake, didn't cause any problems. Just a horrible situation all round, me being psycho on a hormone crash, DD being sick. Sigh/

We were six weeks pp. the night before our ds went in for his second open heart surgery. Bit like Charlotte, I think we both needed the closeness and to feel something other than fear and grief. I think we both thought we would lose him the next day. Bit like people having sex after a funeral- just a need to stop feeling emotions. I think 6 weeks was the advice we were given as well.
    My OB has always advised that you try a few days before the six week check so he can check out any issues etc.

They didn't give me/us a timeframe but at my post birth 6 week check up we discussed birth control option, so I assumed all was well if we wanted to have sex.