Thread: tubes tied with cs?

Default tubes tied with cs?

Anyone had there tubes tied while having a cs?

Default Re: tubes tied with cs?

I haven't as yet, but will be requesting that it be done after we have our next baby with all the medical issues I've had with pregnancy and contraceptives I don't think they will have any issues what so ever agreeing to do it.

I have in January this year during the birth of my third bub. I went through the public system and just requested it at my 32w appointment at the hospital. They agreed straight away (which tbh surprised me because of my age) and that was that

My cousin did after her 2nd birth through the public system. She was 26, but given her history of medical issues (clotting disorder, PCOS) she was given the approval.

I had mine done with my section a few weeks ago. Didn't quite go to plan though. I'd planned the section for the 19th of March but Baby M decided to come 2 1/2 weeks early. All of a sudden my planned c became an emergency c. The surgeon still did the tubal ligation but a few hours after surgery my belly started swelling and I became delerious....... seems I had a 2cm tear in my right fallopian tube which they failed to see during the surgery and it was bleeding copiously into my abdomen. Long story short I ended up having another surgery and spent two weeks recovering in hospital, very ill indeed. It was just one of those things, a risk the doc tells you about but you dont really think will happen to you. I guess the more procedures that you elect to have the higher the risk of something going wrong.

One thing the doc said when I first enquired about it was that the success rate of tubal ligation during c-section is slightly lower than when it is a stand along surgery due to increased inflammation during surgery. That may be something to consider, but it may be less of a risk to you than going through an additional surgery.

BTW, mine was done through the public system, Baby M is my second child and I am 40 yo.

Good luck

im going through private so not sure if it makes any difference or not. Should be a planned csection unless they come early like the rest. He said he has no problem doing it and just explained he clamps and then removes a section..this will be my 3rd

I don't know if you're only after positive stories or not?

I always thought I would, but after talking to a few people and reading a bit, I decided not to.

I had my tubes tied yesterday, and I would recommend getting them done during your section rather than just via laparoscopy.
    My surgery went well, but if they are already going to be 'in there', it would be better doing it then rather than having to heal from a csection and then a lap.

Good luck with your decision.

after both positive and negative..

How long extra were they in there? Have you had a previous section? did the recovery hurt anymore?

My surgery took about an hour and I have 2 incision sites. One right above my csection scar and one in my belly button. I stayed in hospital for around 2-3 hours after waking up.

It doesn't hurt as much as my section pain, it's different. The real pain I've got is the shoulder tip pain. They pump you full of gas so they can see what they're doing and all the pressure is felt in your shoulder. It's weird. And painful.

Yep. Back in 2007.

Melstar- in answer to your questions

How long extra were they in there?
    Probably about 15-20 mins? I'm not exactly sure because I was having skin to skin and BF my daughter and wasn't paying attention lol. Because of the additional surgery time I had to have a spinal block and an epidural in case they needed to top me up.

Have you had a previous section? Yes, this was my third c-section (my second emergency). I went into spontaneous labour the night before my scheduled c-section.

Did the recovery hurt more? No it didn't hurt anymore. I have got nerve damage in my stomach though, from the third cs.

If you have anymore questions I'm more than happy to answer

Didnt have time when I replied earlier but my answers are

Took an extra minute of surgery. Never had any issues. About a year later I ended up with really heavy periods. I put up with it thinking it was to do with the tubal. Anyways ended on some medication last year (cyklapron ). Was on it for nearly a year and I have been off it now since oct and periods have really settled back down to normal

This was done my 3rd section but 4th baby

As with other posters. Any further questions feel free to ask

Quote Originally Posted by Melster View Post
    after both positive and negative..

How long extra were they in there? Have you had a previous section? did the recovery hurt anymore?
    I had my tubes tied on my last c section, (number 5 c section) It took maybe 15-20 mins longer, this was also an emergency c section as baby wanted out at 30 weeks. I was having this bub in SJOG, but he came early and they don't have nicu only scn2. SJOG wouldn't tie my tubes either as it's against catholic ethics ( be aware of that if your planning private through a catholic hospital) I never had a problem recovering after and don't think it was more painful. Odd smell when they burn your tube, and odd when they say nearly finished just popping your uterus back in.
    Most doctors don't argue if u want it, only if u don't

Wow a really mixed bag of responses, and alot to think about for you. I would have, had I of known then that our second child would be our last bub.

My ob has a big sign up in his office saying he won't tie tubes during c/s. I assume all his patients have to have it done separately.

I wonder why that is Jennifer 13?

I havent had a tubal ligation but 2 of my friends had it during their CS and both said that their recoveries were more painful. I think it is because they sometimes have to remove the uterus from the pelvic cavity to get to the tubes and then put it back so your insides cop a bit of additional trauma.