Thread: Car trouble - thinks doors are unlocked, and can't unbolt spare wheel ...

Default Car trouble - thinks doors are unlocked, and can't unbolt spare wheel ...

So, I have a very loved but very used falcon, which has recently had a very expensive set of repairs, and really needs to get through another year, as we just can't afford to replace it right now.

It's got lots of little issues, but they're all niggles, rather than anything which would be a safety concern, or a roadworthy issue.

Today, I'm having a spot of bother with my car. The car thinks a door is open, and accordingly, it won't let me lock the car and leave. A door is absolutely NOT open - I've checked and rechecked (including the boot) and they're all closed, and not sticking out of anything. I've also checked that nothing seems to be stuck in that little gap thing where the bit of metal goes in to actually lock the door. I've turned it all off and on again, and it's still saying it's open ...

Also, there are litres of putrid rain water in my boot, rusting the spare tyre and not letting me unbolt it so I can pull the tyre out, pull the carpet out, and let it all air out until the end of time in hope that my car will stop smelling like a soggy lamb ...

So I'd love any ideas about:

1. getting the car to recognise that the doors are shut, and letting me lock the car (rather important, as I park it at a station every weekday!).

2. how on earth I can convince a partially rusted wheel to get unbolted from the boot ... we had previously silliconed it up to stop water getting in, so we've put some more silicon on it, but we really need to let the carpet (and the wheel) dry out, which we obviously can't do if the remain bolted in place ... WD40 and brute force hasn't helped.

The wheel will probably be dead, but I still need to air out the car, and get it off, so I can get a new spare.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: Car trouble - thinks doors are unlocked, and can't unbolt spare wheel ...

Dh said try crc or a degreeser for the rusted bolt (he said wd40 is ****)

Default Re: Car trouble - thinks doors are unlocked, and can't unbolt spare wheel ...

Thanks.

Could the battery on your remote be going?

Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?

If you are going to replace the spare, I'm sure the tyre shop guys would help you get it out.

Can you lock the car with the key?

Try changing hte batteries and disconnecting the car battery and reconnecting it. If there's still a problem you'll probably need to take the car to an auto electrician.

Did it work?

We got the tyre out eventually (just needed a little more brute force it's a bit rusty, but not too bad... ditto for the jack, but the avocado that was back there is *not* staying!!)

The car still isn't locking - I don't have a remote thingie, just keys.

Haven't tried disconnecting and reconnecting the car battery though - is that what you mean?

Yep. Might reset the electrics for you.

Checking out the battery, and trying to figure out WTF my "e box" is, and whether it's moist.

It worked! It worked!!

Gold stars for Tinks!! (And Kin, for confirming)

nd you learned something new Win!

Huzzah for education!

I had a falcon that did the same thing with the doors. Turns out the door seals were perished and water was getting into the motors that drive the locks. The central locking then thought that a door was open and wouldn't lock. The only way it was fixed was by replacing the motors and the door seals.