Thread: Cheap Sydney car hire?

Default Cheap Sydney car hire?

Looking for names of places that do used/older model car hire. But preferably will accept a debit card, most want a credit card.

I also need to be able to travel out of the city. Limit on kms is ok, as long as I can get to Coffs Harbour & back with out going over (200/day is plenty)

I know Wicked campers do them, but looking for as many suggestions as possible please

Default Re: Cheap Sydney car hire?

I have personally found the ones with older cars that seem really cheap charge so much on insurance and other extras (that are compulsory), that you are better off going with the big name ones. But hopefully someone else has had a better experience with them and be more help.

I have used a Visa Debit Card with Budget and Thrifty in the last year.

I used a mastercard debit with europcar too, so know it can be done. But so far most of those who do seem cheaper only accept CC & want a $3300 limit that they can release on it.

I will probably just go with a big brand in the end (easier straight from airport too), but was seeing what was out there, just in case someone, somewhere had an awesome deal

Checkout vroom vroom vroom (AUS website) for comparisons of all the major car hire places. I use it whenever we travel, it's brilliant. Also consider getting domestic travel insurance as if often covers your hire car excess and is cheaper than paying the daily rate with the car hire place to reduce your excess. I use to work at Flight Centre and we sold Covermore which I still use when we travel.

Awesome, will do that!
    I think I've looked at about 5 different comparison sites so far. Some aren't too bad with the excess, others are ridiculous.

Some hire companies have much cheaper services if you a relocating a vehicle back to its origin for them. Wicked, Jucy and some other campers do it and hire car companies do it too. Check vroomvroomvroom, find the cheapest company then call the final destination you are headed with budget, europcar or whoever you chose and see if they have any cars that need returning from your origin point. It will cost a flat day fee of about $10 and just your petrol rates. We used to live remotely in the desert and did it all the time as tourists would drive in, leave their vehicle and fly out, so we would drive the vehicle back to where it came from and have a cheap mini break.

I need a car for the 12 days we'll be over there. My sister & 2 best friends all live about 30 kms apart & I'm travelling with my mum & niece. 7 is too many for a standard car & that's all my family & friends have.

I need to get back to sydney as well. It's cheaper to hire in sydney & drive to coffs, than to find a way to coffs & hire there. Even with petrol.

But I will look into it