Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holden Captiva 7 vs Honda crv vs Mazda cx5 v Subaru forester

Default Holden Captiva 7 vs Honda crv vs Mazda cx5 v Subaru forester

Ok I need some BB help. We are in the market for a new car and have short listed it to
    Captiva 7 vs Honda crv vs Mazda cx5 v Subaru forester

We need to fit three car seats across the back, and are looking for a reliable and sleek city car (small streets and tight parking)

Any advice?

A friend has Forester - no way you will get 3 sets across the back of that.

Are they FF or RF?

We have a Honda crv you wouldn't get 3 seats across the back. I can just get between my boys seats if I have too for short journeys. They are in a maxi rider & a booster.
    They are also not too good on the fuel. For our next car I want a Mazda lol
    Good luck a friend has just gone through choosing a new car & it took them few months to find the right one. Ours was bought in haste as I couldn't drive the manual anymore when I was pg with DS1.

We needed a new car once baby #3 was on the way & realised our Honda CRV would in no way fit 3 baby seats. I rang baby bunting and spoke to the car seat installation man & told him our requirements - baby, 2 yr old & 3 yr old and he said people mover like Honda odyssey (which I didn't want), or Ford Territory. We got the ford in the end which initially I didn't want as I too wanted a nice sleek city car... But I love it. So much smoother to drive than my CRV huge boot plus we got the 7 seater so the boot can become 2 more seats.

What ages will the other 2 be? Mine are in baby capsule, safe & sound compaq & safe sound maxi rider.

No way known will you get 3 car seats across the back of a captiva. We have one and the middle seat isn't a full size seat. You also can't put a tethered/anchored car seat in the back either because it's illegal but you can have an untethered booster no problems. The honda odyssey will fit the 3 as will a kia carnival if you like the people mover type cars.

I love love love my crv but as the others said, no way you would get three seats across the back.

I can't comment on the captiva but I've seen all the others recently and I think you'd struggle to to fit 3 seats in any of them. We bought the forrester and i don't think even 3 slimline seats would fit? You might need to consider larger SUVs/ people movers or large sedans like commodore etc

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

We have a Captiva and love it but no way could you fit 3 car seats across the back. We have a Maxi rider and safe and sound Hi liner.

Yep, another CRV driver here and we can fit two baby car seats in with a small gap in the middle (I can just squeeze in there). Also the boot space isn't much once you have a pram or stroller in there. We went away for a weekend the other month and we struggled to fit suitcases, the pram and some other things. If we went for a longer time we'd need either a trailer or a pod thingy on the roof

My gf drives a Toyota kluger and it fits three seats across

Sorry, I beg to differ.... however I have an older crv so maybe this is why. I can and have fit 3 seats across the back. When dd3 was born we had a capsule and 2 safe n sound Compaqs. Then when she was old enough we moved her into the Compaq and got a hi-liner for dd1. Now dd2 is old enough and has a hi liner as well. Yep its a bit of a pain but we are used to it. I have the Compaq in the middle and hi-liners on the outside. When we have to do their belts up we just move the seats to the side to get our hands to the buckle then once clipped we move them back and adjust. As for the boot room...awesome. we have a Phil n teds double and I can get loads of shopping in there. We also go camping a lot and we can pack loads in. Only problem with mine is it won't fit #4 in:-)

Default Re: Holden Captiva 7 vs Honda crv vs Mazda cx5 v Subaru forester

We've got a 2010 Forester and you *might *fit 3 seats but they would likely have to be smaller seats (eg SNS Compaq). We have one Compaq and one Maxi Rider and there is very little room between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Trillian View Post
    No way known will you get 3 car seats across the back of a captiva. We have one and the middle seat isn't a full size seat. You also can't put a tethered/anchored car seat in the back either because it's illegal but you can have an untethered booster no problems. The honda odyssey will fit the 3 as will a kia carnival if you like the people mover type cars.
    We have a Captiva 7 and can fit three seats across. A Qld Ambulance Service employee fitted all three (albeit it took a bit of arranging and rearranging), so I know it's ok, even with that middle seat being a PITA

We bought the most slimline booster seats we could find - Infa Secure - and we have a rear facing Safe and Sound Meridian. The boosters are next to each other, with the SandS (obviously) on the other side. They are all touching each other, but I find if I pull the booster nearest the window toward me a little, it gives me enough room to clip the seatbelts in.

I love my Captiva

ETA: The QAS employee (who's been fitting car seats for ages) said the foreign-made SUVs were the hardest to fit the three seats, but Aussie made cars were easier. Not sure if this helps one iota ...
    Last edited by AndiE; March 15th, 2013 at 10:06 PM.

Thanks everyone for your awesome help!! We are test driving tomorrow, and the captiva7 looks like it will fit three seats. We are ttc #3 soon so kids will be 5, 2.75 and newborn in capsule or rear facing.

Anyone try a Mazda cx5 yet?

Have you had a look at the Hyundai ix 35?
    I just put a dep down on one. I only have 1 child, but they are very roomy for a smallish car.
    5 year unlimited km waranty.
    They range from 28-38k.
    Worth looking at.

What about a 5 seat ford territory? We considered the captiva but wasn't roomy enough for us. (We bought a 7 seat territory) maybe go have a look. We also looked at the prado but I was disgusted by them.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiE View Post
    We have a Captiva 7 and can fit three seats across. A Qld Ambulance Service employee fitted all three (albeit it took a bit of arranging and rearranging), so I know it's ok, even with that middle seat being a PITA

We bought the most slimline booster seats we could find - Infa Secure - and we have a rear facing Safe and Sound Meridian. The boosters are next to each other, with the SandS (obviously) on the other side. They are all touching each other, but I find if I pull the booster nearest the window toward me a little, it gives me enough room to clip the seatbelts in.

I love my Captiva

ETA: The QAS employee (who's been fitting car seats for ages) said the foreign-made SUVs were the hardest to fit the three seats, but Aussie made cars were easier. Not sure if this helps one iota ...
    They may have changed their seats? We brought our 7 seater LX brand new in 2007 and we couldn't fit any of our seats in the middle because it was too narrow. We measured it and it was only 30cm wide. We only need two car seats anyway so it wasn't a problem for us, but it meant that DD2 had to climb over 2 car seats to get into the middle of the seat which was a pain at times.

Hi Trill, we also bought ours new in 2007. As mentioned, we went for the slimmest boosters we could find and had all three seats fitted by Qld Ambo service to ensure a proper/accurate fit. The fellow made it clear he wasn't enthused by 3 seats in a Captiva, but he mucked around until he got a good and legal fit.

While I love my Captiva, I'll be more conscious of that middle seat when we go to buy another car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast