Thread: Laws etc around 3 car seats

Default Laws etc around 3 car seats

So, now there are a few of you floating around, you may be able to answer my question!!

Does anyone know much about the legalities of having three car seats in one row?

I had a hell of a time putting our third car seat in on Friday, it's in and they all fit, but they're definitely up against each other. I have a Commodore so the back seat is wide, but so are two of the car seats. In any case, I don't think two narrower ones would make a massive difference.

Now hubby has sent a text from work, he was chatting with a mate who has triplets. The mate told him car seats need to have a gap of 25mm between them, or they're illegal and insurance is void. I just went Seriously?? What kind of car is going to fit three seats with a gap like that? This guy said we'd be better off when we get a new car making sure it has a third row and putting one back there. Yeah no, I won't be climbing back into a third row however many times a day to strap in a kid.

Anyone know if this info is right?

Default Re: Laws etc around 3 car seats

I frequent car seat safety pages on Facebook and never heard of this. I have three car seats across and they are right up against each other and I don't believe that's an issue. I think if they are rear facing and touch the front seats that's where the issue is but it depends on the individual seat and manufacturers recommendations on this

I've never heard of it before either and can't find anything about it. Seems like anyone with three kids would need a pretty extreme car to comply!

Default Re: Laws etc around 3 car seats

I am a trained fitter. It is my job to keep up to date on these things. His mate is spouting utter BS.

The biggest trick with 3 across is to do the middle one first. The only spot there needs to be space is between a rear facing seat and the one in front, so passenger or driver's seat. And that is just enough to slide your hand between. Commodores fit nearly any combination just fine.