Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non-tether boosters

Default non-tether boosters

I am thinking of getting a non-tether booster. Possibly as spare, possibly to be used more often (depends on comfort and safety level).

Do you have one? Which one? What do you like or not like about it?

I am getting a 7 seater car, but no tethers in back row. Currently have 3 slimline seats, and they will fit, but it is tight. Wondering if it is better to have DD in back row in non-tethered booster, or if its better to keep her in current booster for a bit longer.

These are the ones I know about so far
    Infa Secure Traveller
    Hipod Rio
    Safe N Sound Tourer

Default Re: non-tether boosters

Doesn't she need to be in a tethered seat until 7?

I have two of the non-tethered boosters. The Infa-Secure ones. We don't use as main seats but use when we need additions, or we have mum and dads car which has no tether in the back seat. We took to Darwin x 2 and used on holiday - I prefer this to getting whatever the car company has left - strictly speaking DS is not old enough, but he is heavy and tall enough (heavier and taller than plenty of 4 year olds) and sits still enough that they are a safe option for him.

I like them - they are not that different to the tethered booster really - I like that the arms on the Infasecure one keep the belt low across the top of the legs. The kids seem to find them comfortable. They fold flat so go in the boot easy (or in luggage I suppose although they are not small). I didn't actually look at the other options non-tether boosters though as I quite like InfaSecure as a brand so I couldn't offer any useful info in terms of comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Olive View Post
    Doesn't she need to be in a tethered seat until 7?
    No. From age 4 can legally be in a tethered or non tethered booster seat. If the seat has a tether, you have to use it. Non-tethered boosters weigh less than tethered boosters.

Just to add - I wouldn't be opposed to using one as a main seat for DD - but as already had the tethered booster we stick with that for main use as is in someways easier as you are meant to keep the non tethered ones strapped into the lap/sash belt even when not using (to stop being a flying object in an accident etc). I think they are a fantastic product - the ease of use of them and their compatibility with other passengers and passenger combinations means that I am far more likely to keep my two in them if they haven't reached the height limit when they are old enough to not to have to use a booster at all.

I have some non tethered seats we have bought for different reasons and only use them on certain occasions. I would prefer to use them, then risk no seat at all (even before it was illegal to have a child under 7 not in a seat).

My belief is that they have to fit a particular standard here in Australia, so they aren't all bad, however both my kids comment on them being not comfy.

I have 2 infa secure at my mum's. I bought them on our last visit, as I needed 2 slimline seats as we had to squeeze an older child in the back as well. I also have a safe and sound one that my cousin leaves in her car for ds.

If I can, and the trip is planned, I will take the seats from one if our cars (we have anchored seats in 3 cars permanently as my dad lives with us and helps out with school run) and put in another friend/family members car.

I have the Infa Secure Traveller + Safe n Sound Tourer. Out of the 2, Tourer is MUCH better for the fact it doesn't fold in half, more stable and offers better safety features

Rosetti, do kids prefer one for comfort?

heading out today to try some out.

Comfort wise, tourer and it's more size accommodating (my kids are tiny framed, but great for stocky kids too), it's more confort fitting and moulded better. The traveller is really hard on their butts and very little padding

Sorry I'm late replying so probably hasn't helped you

I am looking at the moment now that DD1 will have to move to a third row next year. I to am interested in knowing if there is one that is more comfortable.

After looking around online just now I find it very disheartening that they all have in the discription that they are made for people needing the occasional seat or for grandparents/carers/daycares. I don't think it is that uncommon that families have 4 children under the age of 7 and that a child still needing a booster seat (by law) will have to sit in the 3rd row permanetley. Should their safety have to be compromised?
    Last edited by Kazzo; October 14th, 2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: had more to add.

Agree, I have 4 children, my 5 year old is in a non feathered booster as it is easier, to juggle all the children in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazzo View Post
    I am looking at the moment now that DD1 will have to move to a third row next year. I to am interested in knowing if there is one that is more comfortable.

After looking around online just now I find it very disheartening that they all have in the discription that they are made for people needing the occasional seat or for grandparents/carers/daycares. I don't think it is that uncommon that families have 4 children under the age of 7 and that a child still needing a booster seat (by law) will have to sit in the 3rd row permanetley. Should their safety have to be compromised?
    I am not sure their safety is compromised but car seat manufacturers prob don't make much money on the non-tether boosters I expect and just don't want to promote as an acceptable alternative IMO.

I mean really all the manufacturers sell a range of tethered seats of widely varying prices - should the safety of children whose parents can't afford the more expensive ones be compromised - no and it isn't really (things perform differently on tests but the shades between the differences are very small - and are all far smaller than the drop in risk you get by just not going in the car), it is all just marketing.

(I personally am not a great fan of the car seat business in general - too many things go on that are about business but are made out to be about safety (I am not saying they compromise safety but they do prey on parents fears more than necessary).

They safety isn't compromised. It's just that they aren't as comfortable, durable, soft, built to last. They have to meet safety standards. Just they aren't as high spec as the other ones.

I really disagree that their safety is not compromised. Tethering a seat straight away makes it safer. Non tethered don't have near as much padding, the wings at the top are very shallow. They all say they are ideal for occasional use but I need it for full time use. Why should they not be as durable as all other seats, why should they not be as soft.

As for price of a seat. My 0-4yrs seat cost half the price of my friends and it had a higher safety rating, so saying poorer people give up on safety because they can't afford it means nothing, something more expensive does not mean better.

Yes all these un tethered boosters have passed tests, that is not my point. My point is having a child in a third row permanetly means that the type of seat you can use is very very limited and that they are not even close to the same standards that a tethered seat is. I just spent all morning looking at them and trust me, out of 5 shops I found 4 only and not one of them is ideal.

DS is 6.5 & still in a tethered seat (hipod), but occasionally uses an untethered seat. But it isn't one with sides. It's just the seat.
    He doesn't use this in our 3rd row seats though. Our station wagon has smaller seats back there, so fit a child from around 5/6-10 similar to a booster.
    It says in the book 4-12, but dd3 is still too small IMO, and dd1 is too tall.

Most people when upgrading their car to accommodate the 4th child will but the car that has points for the 3rd row seats. We didn't need to worry, as dd1 was out of a seat, but I think mine has tether points on the roof for the 3rd row.

I really disagree that their safety is not compromised. Tethering a seat straight away makes it safer. Non tethered don't have near as much padding, the wings at the top are very shallow. They all say they are ideal for occasional use but I need it for full time use. Why should they not be as durable as all other seats, why should they not be as soft.

As for price of a seat. My 0-4yrs seat cost half the price of my friends and it had a higher safety rating, so saying poorer people give up on safety because they can't afford it means nothing, something more expensive does not mean better.

Yes all these un tethered boosters have passed tests, that is not my point. My point is having a child in a third row permanetly means that the type of seat you can use is very very limited and that they are not even close to the same standards that a tethered seat is. I just spent all morning looking at them and trust me, out of 5 shops I found 4 only and not one of them is ideal.
    Just wondering, have you considered getting a certified person to fit anchorage points for the 3rd row?

Quote Originally Posted by Doing my best View Post
    Just wondering, have you considered getting a certified person to fit anchorage points for the 3rd row?
    The car we have you can't put anchor points for the 3rd row ( apparently anyway). I was actually just talking to DH and we are actually now thinking of selling our car and buying one with anchor points in the 3rd row.

Kazzo another option you may have is, I know you said you can't put anchorage points in (to the floor I'm guessing), but you can get a CRAB installed.

DH had one installed into his car, never used it as I put my bigger 2 in the third row with untethered boosters, DD3 and DS in the middle row where points already were.

With the CRAB, we can now have 6 tethered seats

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast