Thread: Does this sound right?

Question Does this sound right?

I have just used the Centerlink online estimator to calculate what I would receive on single parent payments if I leave my husband (this has been on the cards for a while now and I suspect things are coming to an end soon ). I work 3 days a week casual and have no other income besides family tax etc. It has estimated my payments to be about $1200 a fortnight with rent assistance. With this money and my regular wages it is more than enough to pay the rent and bills. In fact, I will be financially better off than I am now.

Does this sound right? Is it really that much? I understand everyone's circumstances are different, but it just sounds too easy to me. Did I do something wrong? Is there a catch? I genuinely don't know anything about single parent payments.

Default Re: Does this sound right?

Oh I see. It's including my wages. Well that makes more sense!

But this also means I can't rent on my own $260 after rent isn't going to be enough for food, petrol, bills, life.

Maybe look around for somewhere cheaper to rent?

I have no idea if the estimate is correct, but perhaps you could give them a call to ask about your options..
    Also yeah I would be looking at cheaper housing options.
    And

Number 1 reason I am still married

Thanks ladies. I couldn't get anything cheaper than about $270. A friend of mine has 2 kids under 8 and told me she gets $1500 a fortnight. You could quit your job on that. I have one friend that would get a rental with me. But we would need a 4 bedroom house, which would cost us in excess of $350 anyway.

I will call them and ask just to make sure. But I can't imagine it being much more

With 2 kids and my job I was getting around 1700-1800 that was my pay plus family tax benefit that was after tax I wasn't getting any parenting payment without my job I was on around $1300 and now I got a new job not sure wat my pay will be after my working credits run out won't lose much pp coz I'm only getting $160 a week
    If ur rent is $270 a week that's only $540 a fortnight sorry if I misread but that will leave u with $700 give or take after rent and im not sure about child support coz my ex doesn't have a job so it doesn't effect my payment at $15 a fortnight

This is wat they say about income test and its in Ur income before tax

Income test?single parents
    Your income must be no more than $184.60, plus $24.60 for each additional child, per fortnight to get the maximum payment. Income over this amount reduces your payment by 40 cents in the dollar.

A part payment may be available if your income is less than $2,015.35, plus $24.60 for each additional child, per fortnight or possibly a higher figure if you are eligible for Pharmaceutical Allowance.

Default Does this sound right?

I have no idea about any benefits or entitlements but If you pay $270 rent a week, you would have more then $260 left from the amount you said.

Would you get child support too?

If you can help it, please don't count on child support, it is generally an unreliable source of income at best. See it as a bonus if you can.

Working between 3-5 days, school hours on a casual wage plus centrelink I bring in around $1300-$1500pf inclusive without rent assistance one school age child. When I was paying rent I was paying $320pw on my own, my income was an additional $150pf for rent assistance. My big issue will be when I get shifted to newstart but hopefully I will have finished my degree by then.

I won't lie, its hard but doable. Budget, budget, budget. It will also depend on where you live, what your liabilities are and what standard of living you are wanting to achieve.

Sahbear, I pay $300 per week rent. The lowest I could probably find was about $270 in my suburb.

Abigail, I work 3 days a week on a casual average wage. My estimate was $1140 per fortnight. And my wages are under $400 for the week. I live pretty minimal, only have a personal loan to pay off.

I guess I will only know for sure when I call. Does the estimation include family tax? Might go back and have a look....

ETA: I just checked and there is no family tax included in the online estimate. So I did the ftb estimate and it said about $400 or so WITH rent assistance. So that would make it about $1500 or so per fortnight. That would be doable for me.

It is hard to know for sure, even though the calculator is useful, best to call up. The cost of moving etc is probably not worth it to save only 20/30 per week. Although on single parenting payments you can apply for 50% of your bond from department of housing, so that will be helpful. Also you have child support to add into that as well... Have you tried seeking help with your relationship, it seems easier to separate at times, but there is a whole lot of work after leaving someone, especially since you guys have a child together...even 10 years later my ex and I have to work consciously to keep everything flowing well for the children..

With income you can earn up to around $170/fortnight, then lose 40c in every dollar while on single parent payment (I can't tell you exact figures as I'm on a different payment. SPP has more allowance that I do).

Child support is based on the same rate. If you can calculate around 8% of your partners wages(for one child), that would be an estimated amount of child support you'd receive... as long as he pays.
    This is where it can all get really confusing though. Even if he doesn't pay, centrelink will base your payments on what he should be paying, then will make it up at the EOFY. So an estimate now might be a good idea, because you are prepared to not rely on that money.

It is tight. I have friends with under 3 kids that are paying around $270 per week. Rent is getting higher where they are now though, they're really starting to struggle & down size, or going back to relationships that weren't particularly healthy for them.

I don't have any magical solutions for you. If I did, I'd be using them. A lot of the time when you have to count for fuel & child care, working is pointless... I live in government housing, but still really pay the same as everyone else where I am (if not more), because I don't get rent assistance.

It can work though it's just a challenge

Thanks for the breakdown Clover

Quote Originally Posted by ladybirdflies View Post
    It is hard to know for sure, even though the calculator is useful, best to call up. The cost of moving etc is probably not worth it to save only 20/30 per week. Although on single parenting payments you can apply for 50% of your bond from department of housing, so that will be helpful. Also you have child support to add into that as well... Have you tried seeking help with your relationship, it seems easier to separate at times, but there is a whole lot of work after leaving someone, especially since you guys have a child together...even 10 years later my ex and I have to work consciously to keep everything flowing well for the children..
    Some days I want it to work and other days I am certain I am leaving. I have been having counselling for a couple of months so far. It helps a bit, but ultimately the decision is mine. He is trying, but sadly I don't think it will ever be enough for me