Thread: Etax and newstart

Default Etax and newstart

I am trying to lodge using etax this year and have come to my spouses details bit. Do I need to include his Newstart payments in his total taxable income? He has worked on and off for the past year so has about 6 months worth of newstart. His payment summary says ZERO. But I am not sure.
    I only paid about $300 in tax for this FY and it's estimated $37 return boooo. So if I actually went to an accountand I would end up having to pay them out of my pocket

Default Re: Etax and newstart

Yes, as far as I know all income support payments are taxable income & need to be declared as income. We didn't realise this over 10 years ago now & ex received a fine, I think for a few hundred dollars.

Wow really? I just assumed because no tax was paid on it that you didn't include it.

Also. There is no section to enter the newstart payments. There is a section marked "Australian government pensions and allowances" And when I open the box to read exactly what it is newstart is not among the payments listed.

Oh and apparently I OWE the ATO $37???

yes into the box for pensions and allowances. Its a taxable payment,even though you didnt pay tax on it
    If you owe money then your PAYG withholdings werent enough?

Thanks Trishalishous, but the list of payments doesn't have newstart in it. Are you sure? It's a bit confusing...

Thanks! I put it in anyway. Still didn't change anything. Still OWE $32

The thing is that even though it's not taxed, it is income. And they need the whole income, including any allowances or pensions to work out how much tax you are entitled to back. Ex had to pay around $400 back because of it. I don't think it was a fine as such, but they over paid him because it wasn't declared on his return, so it had to be paid back to them.