Thread: Very quick AUSstudy questions...

Default Very quick AUSstudy questions...

Does it have to be full-time study? Are there situations where it can be part-time?

EDIT: Never mind. I was confusing Austudy with the fee help thing. So I suppose I have to look into that, if I'm going to do a course?

Default Re: Very quick AUSstudy questions...

DH did his Bachelor of Arts through the new HECS thing (it's called HELP or something, now, isn't it?) as a part time course.

And he's just starting his Masters of Teaching the same way - Cth subsidised, and part time.

HTH

He doesn't get anything from Centrelink, but he does get the deferred course payment thing.

I think you get a certain number of years with help or whatever it's called. 6? In your lifetime, unless the course has a bacholer requirement, eg medicine you have to have a degree forat so they give you more help for premed.
    After that you have to pay full upfront.
    I think...might be completely wrong

Vet-fee help? You don't start paying back til you earn over 51 000/year.
    I'm not sure it matters if it's full or part time, course fee's are still the same. It's for a bachelor/diploma etc.

You can get austudy rather than parenting or newstart from centrelink, which I think means you aren't required to fill jobsearch obligations, but I don't know anymore than that.

Or there is the pension education supplement. If you receive a pension payment you can receive around $30 for part time, or $60 full time per fortnight to study.

I get fee-help for my masters after five years of bachelors. Although I did pay for the first 18months up front so not sure if it applies all the way through

Fee help has changed a lot of the courses that they will pay for this year! I have only recently found this out the hard way! Under the new gov't changes they will pay for some course and not others, really weird. My middle DD, has been did a Cert 3, which they paid for last year, and they said they would pay for the Cert 4 this year, well, new changes, and they no longer pay for the Cert 4, which she has already started and it has doubled in price, so now I have to find $2K, to pay for the course!
    Be careful, and check that they will cover the course that you are wanting to do! Or you may end up with a huge bill!