Thread: Online learning/apps for 4yo ADD

Default Online learning/apps for 4yo ADD

I've started the path of having DD3 (4.5) assessed for ADD. I'm 99% sure we'll have a diagnosis & at this point it's about getting her help before she gets as far behind as DD2 was. DD2 still has trouble, even though she has improved greatly since starting meds. I am not looking to medicate DD3, just have a diagnosis for the understanding that will come with it in the future for the class room. The earlier I have that, the earlier the school can prepare for the extra they may need to put in for her. See how that goes for now. As long as we can keep her up to where she should be for the first few years.

I'm looking for idea's for at home. Basically, if she's not entertained, or doing some kind of activity every minute of every day, then she's doing something she shouldn't be. eg; I leave her for 3 minutes to wash her hands alone, she'll wash her hands, then clean her teeth, then empty the tooth paste & paint the basin/mirror etc with it. Then attempt to wash it off & flood the bathroom if I haven't come in to check on her yet. It's a never ending roller coaster. This morning it was black paint in DD2's bedroom.

Typical signs of ADD/ADHD at her age are excessive climbing... which means putting things up high is just a challenge. How to get up there & get it down again (she knows she's not supposed too... think oppositional defiance to extremes... I'd 'lol' that, but it's not funny...)

She's in kindy 2 days a week. She's enjoying learning, especially numbers & would do reading & numbers for hours on end if kept engaged & happy. Thing is, I don't have hours on end to keep her focused & entertained. I need to at least be able to wash up without disaster hitting my house. I don't have pencils etc, because I end up with lovely drawings on my walls :/ So I'm reluctant to have these things in my house, which rules out sitting & colouring. She's over that after 2.5 minutes anyway.

Please don't tell me she needs discipline. Trust me, if you live this life, you know better.

Are there any online sites/apps (preferably free) that we can access for her age group that might give her some activities to do so I can get a few things done in the mornings? I will ask the school about reading eggs/reading box etc & see if she can access any of that through the school, but are they aimed at children that young? DS has been asking to do reading box in free time at school, so I assume it's awesome, because he's more of a numbers kid

Default Re: Online learning/apps for 4yo ADD

DS sat down and worked his way through half of reading eggs in about a month when he turned 4 so it can be done by littler kids but I find DD needs me nearby to help with it. She does love the maths seeds though and can do that by herself. There are also lots of eggy apps for tablets. I usually get the free ones and if they are rubbish they just get deleted.
    Last edited by Artechim; May 28th, 2015 at 06:45 AM.

The school is looking into it & she's been referred for speech so far. Questionnaires filled out through health nurse & hoping to be referred to psyc (I think) & paed soon. Waiting lists etc, but all I wanted was to get the ball rolling for the future

We are back on the waiting list/assessment round-about with DS too. I am so tired with just one quirky kid, you are a hero to me dealing with several of them on your own!