Thread: Struggling: possible 2nd ADHD diagnosis

Default Struggling: possible 2nd ADHD diagnosis

I've been on & off struggling with DS's behaviour since he was quite young. He's come along way over the past 3 years, with a lot of hard work from me. I can not be lax with him. I have to be hard all the time. As soon as he sees weakness from me, he takes it & runs.

I saw a behavioural paed yesterday. Just because I was having trouble with it all, and I wanted to make sure there wasn't something underlying.

Now I'm having trouble with the fact that there may well be another diagnosis. Another child medicated. More judgement. I am lucky I have people who support me through & through. They are the reason I followed through with this appointment, but there are so many people judging, without even knowing they're doing it.

When will people accept that this is real. That my kids, my family is really struggling :/ they don't need a good flogging. They need support. Anxiety will not just go away if I force them to be alone/in the dark. It will turn into panic attacks & adult anxiety & depression.

Stop judging. Educate yourselves I've even met a principle who's had children on meds, but doesn't actually know what ADD/ADHD is.

Comments in general conversations about those 'who just chuck their kids on medication'. Bite me. This isn't easy. Meds don't make instantly well behaved dosile kids you know! It is in no way the easy way out!

*sigh* things I struggle to say in the real world. I do on occasion, but it depends on who the person is.

Default Re: Struggling: possible 2nd ADHD diagnosis

Oh you know what? Screw 'them', screw 'people'! Until they're in your house, living your life, they can stick their judgements where the sun don't shine!

You have to make a conscious choice to shrug it off and ignore it - you know you are doing what's right for your kids and your family. That's all that matters.

I 200% feel your pain!
    We have the same 2 now on meds going to multiple apps including child psychologists ect done so many parenting class I could run them!!
    And yet we get the same....give them a good belting that will fix it.......umm NO!

Life on a daily is a completely stressful struggle but we do it and were alive. You learn to ignore people and sometimes it still gets to you. Just onow your doing a great job no matter what they think x

Tbh, not a lot of people know. And they seem to hold their tongues when they do know, except the odd 'maybe you could wean her off it'... Lol the point of that would be?

It's people who bring it up in general convo's. People just say it like its a joke. Sometimes I'll get defensive & tell them, other times I let it go. But it's the general view overall. After all these years, it still isn't being accepted for what it actually is.

I feel in my personal experience that kids with autism, etc seem to be more understood. Not that the stigma has been wiped out, but it seems that people are actually accepting it more these days.

I don't think the stigma with ADHD/ADD will ever lessen. It seems to be getting worse if anything.