Thread: Help! Whole chicken in the slow cooker?

Default Help! Whole chicken in the slow cooker?

Ok so there's another chicken thread that has made me want baked chicken for dinner. But instead of a plain old bake I thought I'd do it in the slow cooker. I have never done one in the slow cooker. How do I do it. What can I add with it. I don't have much to put in it, shopping day is Monday, so the fridge, fruit bowl and pantry are all pretty bare. I have garlic, butter, maybe some dried rosemary......what else could I use?? And how do I cook it, should I put oil in, water?? Help!!

Anyone?? Gotta get it on soon.....well, now really. Might have to wing it...

Just chuck it in It doesn't need water or oil. You can add whatever flavours you like - stuff some garlic, butter and herbs in the cavity or just put it in on it own. Skin doesn't crisp but the flesh is sooooooo moist and falling apart yummy!!

I just buy an already marinated chook, chuck it in the slow cooker and cook it on high for about 5 1/2 hours. I don't add any oil or water, you will find that the chicken has heaps of liquid in it by the time it's finished cooking. Too easy!

HTH

Packet of french onion soup over the top and just whack it on. I even put it in frozen if it's a smallish chook. Was one of the first recipes from the slow cooker threads on here.... Sooooooooo yummy! Have passed that recipes on to so many friends. Hmmmm..... do I have a chicken in the freezer?

Oh thanks, girls. I put it in with some garlic, rosemary and onions stuffed inside it. Hopefully it will be yummy! It is only a small one, so I'm hoping the fact that it is still half frozen won't matter!

i usually pop it in on a bed of vegies such as potatos and celery, i also rub butter into the top and it crisps for me, though i know of others that have done the same and it hasnt crisped enjoy!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I had this last night and it was so awesome, my dp has never raved so much about dinner lol. I used 1.5 packets of french onion soup mix (I had half a pack lying around), I quartered an onion and also squirted some lemon juice over it too. It was sooooooooooooo good. MMMMMMM hungry now, not had breakfast. LOL.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

Mmmm, Kelly you inspired me to do another one today......stuffed with lemon, onion, garlic and mixed herbs. OMG, it was DELISHIOUS!!! It just fell apart when I tried to take it out of the SC, lol! I had to take the meat off the bone because it just fell off. But, yuuummm!!