Thread: The Perfect Roast Chook in a SC?

Question The Perfect Roast Chook in a SC?

Ok folks! I keep hearing rave reviews about roasting in the SC...

I have no idea how to go about this...so what do I have to do to get The Perfect Roast Chook.

I have ahankering for roast chook tonight (thanks Kristy lol) with all the trimmings.
    But I LOVE crispy crunchy roast chook skin - can I get this in a SC?

TIA!

Lex x

looks like I'll be using the old oven! lol

I tried roast chicken in the SC and it just didn't work - it went too soft and fell apart and I ended up pulling it apart and making it into a chicken soup instead.
    I prefer oven roasted chicken because I just love my crispy chicken skin (I wish it wasn't fattening)

I put mine on an upside down saucer, to keep it outta the liquid as it makes it fall apart.
    But yeah, you cant get crispy skin from the SC!!

I sometimes put it on cut lemons........uuummm, lemon chicken!!! I then pull the cooked chook apart, and make lemon sauce........

Found some tips on google....

All you have to do is place an inverted saucer in the base of your slow cooker, baste your chook with whatever you desire, and put it on top of the saucer, cook on low for 8 hours. Simple as that!!!! The meat will just fall off the bone - I'm sure you'll be very impressed!! I just use a coffee cup saucer turned upside down - works perfectly.
    Instead of putting an inverted saucer in the bottom of the slow cooker, peel 2 potatoes and place them on the bottom of the s/c, put your seasoned leg of lamb straight on to the potatoes and cook on low heat for 8 hours approx

I have done a chicken in the slow cooker before, but it didn't brown. I didn't put it on a saucer or veges though, and I didn't baste....will be doing those things next time.

I used a saucer same I do with my lamb roast but it was still too liquid.

I would be sticking to the oven for the crispy skin...

I love slow cooker chook!!!! The meat just falls off the bone and is nice and juicy and not as dry as if overn cooked. I can deal without cripsy skin, but I need to oven roast my veggies... Roast spuds are no good unless they are crispy!

hmm Think I will stick to the oven...

Save the SC for a time when I dont mind if it turns into soup

Thanks everyone!

I tried this last night and what I did was slow cooked the chook basted on an upside down plate and for the last 30 minutes I put it in the oven to crispen (is that even a word LOL)

This meant the chook was really tender but I had my beautiful crispy skin!

My slow cooker must cook hotter then others as my chook skin browns and crisps up a treat

Mine crisp's up too in the slow cooker but only when I cook it on low from first thing in the morning. Never crisps up when I cook on high for a short amount of time.