Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 4 year old kinder 2014 Chat

Thanks for the replies....looks like we'll be working on that over the next few months....DS refuses to even try at the moment. If its like everything else he does, he'll flat out refuse for ages, then just do it on his own one day!

I don't think there are kindy interviews - I've already filled out 6 pages of info back in July...most of which is irrelevant now anyway (developmental things he's since done, foods he used to eat that he now doesn't, fave activities that have changed etc). We went to the open day last week, but that was just to have a look around....DS was very excited that they have Lego and puzzles! They're partway through redoing the playground so it'll be brand new next year

On the toilet thing, a kindy teacher friend of mine said that it is best if they are wiping by themselves at kindy (not mandatory but definitely better) so we have been working on it in preparation. She said they won't wipe but can talk them through it from outside the toilet but ideally don't want to be doing that for every kid due to the time that would take!

DD is off to 4yr old Kinder as well, we live rural and she will be going to the Kinder in the next township from us. She does 3yr old Kinder at another Kinder closer into town and luckily there a couple of kids from her 3yr old Kinder going to the same 4yr old one she will be at.

This coming term they do 1 final term of 3yr old Kinder at the 4yr old Kinder to get them used to the new surroundings and teachers etc before they start the long days next year. She will be going Tues, Wed, Thursday next year from 9am - 2pm. I'm so looking forward to having 15hrs with only 2 children to manage and she is so excited to be going to 'School' as well

My baby is off to 4 year old kinder next year too. She already goes to 3 year old kinder and absolutely LOVES it, so I really am looking forward to her having 15 hours of kinder next year - what will I do with myself?! Our 3 and 4 year old kinder are attached to the school where my boys go, so DD is extremely familiar with the whole place. She's been dragged there her entire life! It makes such an easy transition to Prep when it's all in the same place .

I am so happy for her, 4 year old kinder is such a special year .

Default Re: 4 year old kinder 2014 Chat

how did your first day/s go?

we had 1.5 hour session today where parents stayed. Monday kids stay by themselves.

they have wierd food rules. can't have muesli bars, even home made ones, bc it will 'confuse' the kids who want to take commercial ones. can't take commercial ones due to nut traces (fair enough). for bdays, you have to take plate of fairy bread, no alternatives. -cos that's real healthy!

dd had fun, and didn't want to leave, so that is a good sign. I thought teacher was a bit of a knob, but hopefully that's just due to my hormonal sensitivity, or she grows on me. the assistant was nice and great with the kids.

DD2 had her kinder interview on Wednesday, we are lucky in the sense that DD1 went last year on the same days & times (although they swapped Friday for Thurs) and they have the same teachers (1 swap over but easy enough to get used to)

She is very confident and comfortable in the classroom and with those teachers so I don't think we will have any issues at all, I'm hoping its the boost she needs to come out of her shell academically.
    She's a smart kid but often lacked the attention span to do things with her big sister around, it will be nice having her at kinder 3 days a week and then having some one on one time with her to do things at home.

We have restrictions on food in regards to nuts also but anything we bake at home is ok as long as we can provide an ingredients list.
    I tend to stick with fruit, cheese, yoghurt etc but like to make mini cupcakes every now and then or apricot balls etc.

i think i am just going to remake my muesli bar mix into balls. There is nothing in them restricted, DD likes them, they are healthy and i can make a batch and have some in the freezer. the last one will be a big bonus for me for the first few months.

DD1 had fun. She just loves it. Her best buddy from last year is in her group so she's very happy. We have food restrictions too, nuts, kiwi fruit, and now dairy too. They are allocating a specific snack table where previously they've been more flexible and they've not banned dairy but asked if we could minimise the risk - so instead of a tub of yoghurt, use the squeeze ones instead to help minimise spills. The said they'll see how it goes over first term and if that's not enough, they'll look at banning it. The allergy isn't in the 4yo groups so I guess that's why they're being a bit flexible.

DH and I are on the committee this year so that will be interesting!

It's really I interesting reading all of your posts. I wonder if I'm one of your children's teachers?? :-)

I don't think your near HotI or myself but you could be ????

We start on Tuesday. Had interview last Wednesday. Ds liked it which is good. We have changed kinders after issues at the first one. I was on the committee and things were not good so we've moved to a different kinder. Fun way to start the year :-D. Teacher seemed nice enough and ds1 was happy so that's all that matters. Looking forward to him having one long day and then two shorter ones. Main food thing was nuts. I'm going to make some banana muffins on Monday and I've got yoghurt, cheese, watermelon and bananas so far for snacks. Lunch will be slightly harder. I have not had any luck with making muesli bars :-(

DS starts on Tues, just short sessions for the first two weeks though. Parent orientation is Monday....I still have heaps of qus so am a bit miffed about it being so late. Banned foods? What needs labelling from the book list and what's communal, bottom wiping, sun safety policy?

HotI - I'll do the same if they try to ban muesli bars here....there's not a lot of stuff he'll eat and if he can't have those, mummy will be grumpy!!!

My biggest worry is being able to get him there, dressed and ready and on time. Bub has his own agenda, and helping us out isn't on it....

Hi- I have been trying to get back to this thread, but I have been experiencing a blank screen. So haven't been sble to get on. I have reduced the posts per page and can now access the last page, but not really sure what else has been written.

DD has had one 1 hour session so far. Tomorrow she had 2 hours, then 4 hours Thursday and 5 hours Friday.

She is very confident as her brother was there a few years back, and she was there last year for 3yo.

I was on committee last year and will be there again this year. DH is on the committee too. I recommend joining committee if you can. It is a great way to meet other families.

We have communal fruit. Have to bring in 2 pieces at the start of the week, and then it is shared. The only banned food is nuts. Funnily they consider coconut a nut! So home made muesli bars can't have coconut in them! Got a not nice letter last year when I sent her with a muesli bar that I had put coconut in.

First session today for my 4yo. Sessions are 3x3 hours for the next two weeks and then 3x5 then on. First session today went well but she is tired (it's the same kinder he went to for 3yo). My issue is more getting the twins in and out of the car for each drop off and pick up!

DD2 had her first half day session on Monday, (they build up to full days) didn't want us to leave but was ok, had her 2nd half day session today and was more excited to go.

She'll be going from 8:30 - 4pm two days a week.

They're very long days purple penguin!
    DD started with a "half" day on Monday - she was a bit wary at first but was fine with us leaving. Peeved we came to get her again - wanted to stay longer!

She has another short session on Monday and the in to proper hours after that. 3 days one week, 2 days the other.

DS1 has had two 2hr sessions so far, with another tomorrow. He's enjoyed himself so far, but still won't eat any fruit at snack time, so has come home ravenous....not sure how he'll go when he's got longer days and has to wait til lunchtime to eat.

My biggest issue is parking and the heat - the car is soooo hot and Bub gets all hot and sweaty from being out in the heat, even though it's only a short way.

DS1 has had two 2hr sessions so far, with another tomorrow. He's enjoyed himself so far, but still won't eat any fruit at snack time, so has come home ravenous....not sure how he'll go when he's got longer days and has to wait til lunchtime to eat.

My biggest issue is parking and the heat - the car is soooo hot and Bub gets all hot and sweaty from being out in the heat, even though it's only a short way.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast