Thread: New to how it all works

Default New to how it all works

So I'm going back to work (as soon as I get a job....desperately looking), but I'm starting to look into care options for Spock (=( )
    Basically I guess where do I start, what are the pros and cons of FDC vs a centre? I'm leaning towards FDC, is there a huge price difference? I have the number for a FDC centre (I'm assuming it's like a central office and they will hook me up with the carer?) which I can call tomorrow.
    Our circumstances.. We live in a small town, not care I our town, we have got a great girl who has watched Spock for us before, but she is a uni student so she has her own commitments. Nearest city is 30mins from us, but I won't be working there...fx I'll be working in another town 1hr 15mins away. This does give me a few more options I that logistically I could get Spock to care in either of these cities. But I will be doing shifts that start at 7am, so drop off would have to be really early... Do places have drop ofs at 530 /6am?
    I really have no idea...I guess what I am asking is what should I look for? Specific questions I should ask? What is the price difference/about what would I expect to pay?
    Tia

Default Re: New to how it all works

Fdc is usually more flexible. For a centre drop off will depend on opening times. Most centers are only open 12 hours though. Dd1 centre was 7-7 where as dd2's is 630-630.

Prices vary greatly anyway but I've been told fdc is usually cheaper.

Look at the values that Spock will be exposed to. See if they fall in line with yours. Ask about things that are important to you. For me that included bullying, medication administration, fire evacuation and plans for severe days or bushfire events, allergy managent, food rotations etc. I looked at how clean the centre was/is, how happy the kids are/were, how transparent the policies and communication are.

Dd goes to FDC it's great (obviously dependent on the carer) and the price is also set by the carer so you just have to ask. Our carer will pick DD up as she knows I only just had Bub so it's great for things like that.

Cool.
    Ill give this fdc nimber a ring and have a chat. Any tips on making it a smooth transition for Spock? She has only ever been with me 95% of the time, then only ever with dh or my folks for a few hours and had one day with the chick in our town. So this will all be new. And I know she ill be fine but you know first time etc...eager for any advice =)

My carer was great first time I left DD she just let me go out and go around the block for a bit and then come back, so she was only there for a few minutes first time and an hour the next time then two hours.

My dd2 is very attached to me. We did an hour a day for a month to orientate her. The first 4 sessions I stayed in the room playing with or near her and gradually increased my distance. We tried to give her to carers to hold and play with (she was 7 months) but she didn't cope. Refused to take a bottle from them. The last lot of sessions I sat elsewhere in the centre and she did great. Her first day she cried a bit but her second day she was fine.
    I don't do drop offs. Mostly because I start at 7 and the centre opens at 630. My work is a 45 min drive from the centre. Also, dd settles and copes better if daddy drops her off. I pick her up in the afternoon.
    Dd1 was much more resilient and only needed two orientation sessions. She practically leaped from our arms!
    Most centers offer two to three orientation sessions but if you feel Spock needs more - let them know. A good centre will accommodate this and get you to start them earlier (as in our case with dd2).