Thread: Police Check for kinder committee?

Default Police Check for kinder committee?

I'm on Exec Committee for DS2's kinder. We're being asked to do a police check for our roles and was wondering if any one else is doing the same check for their kinder.

I have to confess that I'm a bit annoyed about it, given that kinder committee is a voluntary thing (that's taking quite a bit of work!), anything to do with money has to be countersigned (not that I have direct access to the accounts anyway), and it just feels like it's completely OTT & bureaucratic. Am I being unreasonable? Or would you have an issue with it too?

Just need a bit of a sanity check.

Default Re: Police Check for kinder committee?

Yup that's standard for a member of the executive committee, you're able yo handle money, access bank accounts etc....
    Normal committee members don't require the police check and therefore cannot do the above.

Eta you'll find it's part of your constitution and part of the rules and regulations imposed by those higher

It's the law. It wil be a Working with children check.

We had money stolen the year before my kids joined. So it's fairly standard. There are two checks. Police checks for any criminal activity ie theft/fraud etc. and working with children which is specific to acts of violence etc.

we have to do a police check to be a parent helper in the class, actually to help out in any capacity at school. Its a shame that we have to, but I understand it to a certain degree.

When you hear the stories linking unchecked helpers or school workers and horrible stories involving children I think it's understandable.
    A pain in the bottom, but the aim is to protect our little ones.

Our exec needs a police check (not WWC). We have access to information and often money too. I just see it as good practice. It's not like I had to pay for it (kinder does of course) and the teachers can do the verifying because they are registered.

We don't WWC check for kinder helpers or committee. But we do at school.

They're a bit late with the police check aren't they! It's nearly May!

It's standard for everyone who comes in contact with kids in any capacity. We had to do our entire football club a few years back so you can imagine how much fun that was.

Yep, anyone involved with our kids in any way does a work with children check too. But the majority of them pay out of their own pocket. Even if they're not involved directly with the kids. The school cleaners have one, yet don't work during school hours.

Quote Originally Posted by ~clover~ View Post
    Yep, anyone involved with our kids in any way does a work with children check too. But the majority of them pay out of their own pocket. Even if they're not involved directly with the kids. The school cleaners have one, yet don't work during school hours.
    Not sure how they do it in WA, but in NSW you only need to pay for one if you are going to be working in paid employment. Volunteers don't have to pay.

There's two different prices in WA, volunteer is $10 and the paid is higher, can't remember how much exactly. At least it was a few years ago when I was doing them!

All the men with responsibilities in our congregations now have to get a WWC, and if they refuse or don't pass, they're removed from their responsibilities. I thought it was strange when it came in, as they don't have any necessary contact with children, but better safe than sorry I guess.

Yeps, our committee does one. I should get one really for the odd occasion I get hauled into help at school.

DH and I are in the committee and both got given forms about it at last night's meeting. It's not the form to get the check but one asking a bunch of irrelevant personal questions (they want my marriage cert, passport, and then info like have we been bankrupt). Given that we don't have any access to money and we do the maintenance, it's a bit much. I'm happy to do the working with children check (which is. $107 here) and provide that but I have no idea who this form is for and why it's even relevant.

WWC is free for volunteers in VIC Miss Sept. Unless you are being paid for doing the maintenance?

Sounds like the other form has nothing to do with a police check, but is a kinder form. I'd take it up with them.

Thanks, Lenny. Not being paid. Will look into it further.

It is a law and will be common practice everywhere soon. Anyone that volunteers at my children's school now need police clearance. Even the people that cut fruit in the mornings in the children's classes. Having said that though, if they are a regular volunteer our school will actually pay it. We give the required paperwork back to the school and they sort it out from there. Also had to show marriage certificate.

Also it's worth checking out the new Australian Privacy Principles. Anyone who takes those kind of details Miss.September needs to advise how they are stored and who has access to them.

This is from ELAA

NATIONAL POLICE CERTIFICATE
    ELAA also recommends that committees consider developing a policy that requires any committee member who will be responsible for handling money to provide a current National Police Certificate prior to commencing in their position .
    Application forms can be obtained from the local police station or downloaded from the Victoria Police website (www .police .vic .gov .au/content .asp?Document_ID=274) . These should be completed as soon as possible to allow time for processing . A reduced fee for a National Police Certificate is available for volunteers if the service is registered with Victoria Police . If your service does not have it’s own CVF number, you can apply for one using the application form on the Victoria Police website: www .police .vic .gov .au/content .asp?a=internetBridgingP age&Media_ID=43875 .
    Further information regarding National Police Certificates can be found at www.police .vic .gov .au .

WORKING WITH CHILDREN CHECK
    Those responsible for the management of children’s services (independent committees of management, cluster managers etc .) need to be aware of the requirements of the Working with Children Act 2005 (the WWC Act) . This legislation aims to ‘assist in protecting children from sexual or physical harm by ensuring that people who work with, or care for, them have their suitability to do so checked by a government body’ .
    The WWC Act requires all people who participate in child-related work as defined by the WWC Act, either in a paid or unpaid position to hold a valid WWC Check card . The WWC Act also provides for some exemptions from this requirement, including volunteers who are closely related to a child participating in the activity, teachers registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching or where the person will be working under the direct supervision of a person who has a valid WWC Check card .
    Generally, parents and general members of the committee will be exempt under the WWC Act from holding a WWC Check card . However as a demonstration of their commitment to the duty of care for the children in the service committees may decide that those who are elected to specific positions of responsibility will be required to have a valid WWC Check card . These may include positions which involve regular attendance at the service when children are present .
    Volunteer checks are free of charge apart from the cost of a passport sized photo .
    Further information and application forms are available from the Working With Children Check website: www.workingwithchildren .vic .gov .au