Thread: Coeliac's in children.

Default Coeliac's in children.

My ds is in the process of being tested for coeliac's. I'm just wondering if there are other people with children who have this and if so what were your child's symptoms, when was it first suspected and when and how were they officially tested?

Ds already has (among a lot of other things) a wheat allergy but I'm fairly certain that it's different to actual coeliac's disease and diagnosis.

We are doing a blood test today and then waiting results
    (from my portable boredom breaking device)

I am coeliac and my DS holds the gene but currently isn't coeliac. I was diagnosed as a child and had weight issues and became quite weak as I was undiagnosed for a long time. The reason it was investigated for DS was because his weight was slowing down, he is currently on the 10th percentile.

The BT came back negative for the antibodies so I think he will be re-tested in about a year. The dietician told me that for very young children the test can be unreliable...so it might be reinvestigated earlier if his weight continues to slow.

We had a Buccal swap - a comb like scraper wiped on the inside of his cheek which was genetic test for coeliac. If they have the gene they might develop coeliacs at some point in their life.

Hi and thank you for replying I'm in two minds. Im hoping its not that but then if it is we would have an answer finally.

Hi Abigail,

My kids or family do not have coeliac's. My GF is married to a man who was diagnosed very late in life and their now daughter has quite a few symptoms of coecliac's. Such as tummy upsets.
    The blood test was not accurate, it came up negative, her daughter still had tummy upsets. She then got a referral to see a Paediatric Gastroenterologist who acutally went in by doing an gastro endoscopy and had a look and confirmed what is in fact coeliac, as they caught it early, there hasn't been too much damage yet. Their daughter is 8yrs old.

HTH

We were told that the blood test would be 95% accurate? There is no family history but with his history of bowel issues the dietitian wanted to check and make sure we weren't missing something really obvious.

I think for some reason the age of the child can impact on the accuracy of the test. Then coeliacs can develop for unknown reasons at different ages for people with the gene. I know it feels like a big thing if you LO is diagnosed as coeliacs but once in the swing of things it's pretty easy to manage. The bread is a bit blah, but most products are actually quite nice and even non-coeliacs would enjoy them. You have probably discovered them anyway with the wheat free thing.