Thread: Dark rings under eyes - could it be diet?

Default Dark rings under eyes - could it be diet?

Dark rings under eyes - could it be diet?
    I notice that DD1 (3.5yrs) has constant dark rings under her eyes which vary in intensity and sometimes redness at different times of the day.

They are certainly worse if she is tired, but not all the time. Apart from this, I cannot for the life of me come up with a reasonable explanation for them. She certainly did not have them as an infant or a toddler. I guess they have been present for the past year or so. I know that they can be herieditery (although I suspect that may be a symptom of an underlying condition in a familial line ) and Google has given me a few other suspicions, but, none of them seem to relate to my DD.

I am beginning to lean towards diet and intolerances as the culprit. I just don't know where to start as the whole diet thing is such a multilayered, overwhelming confusion to me! Especially when the eyes and some other mild things which have my radars up are the only signs there may be an issue.

Maybe I am over-reacting, I imagine that many other children with more serious allergies or intolerances make their way through life. It is just that I have noticed it and I really feel that there may be something to it. *mother's intutition*?

Does anyone have any experience with such a symptom??

How much water does she drink? Generally that and lack of sleep cause dark circles under the eyes.

For me its a hereditory (sp?) thing. If you go back through our family photos (only on one side of the family) back to the earliest pictures we have, there's photos where the entire family look like a pack of racoons. And its passed down through the family for 100 years or more.
    I get really bad when I'm tired. I look like a racoon. But generally OK. I'm always a little bit dark under the eyes.

Get her iron levels checked. My DS1 gets low iron levels all the time and the first sign is the dark rings around the eyes, if it gets worse he starts bruising easily.

I was going to suggest iron aswell..

It's also been linked with lactose intolerance

Naturopathically it can indicate the liver health and as the ladies above have said iron, lactose and herediatry could also play a big factor. Many kids and people have sluggish livers (Herediatry again) so one of things you can work on safely with a little one is dietary factors. Limit refined carbs,keep an eye on diary, frutose and sugars, dilute juices with water and plenty of water/veggies. Also keeping a diary or book can help you pinpoint any factors that may be helping the circles disappear or being more noticeble.