Thread: Does this look like an allergy/intolerance? (with pic)

Default Does this look like an allergy/intolerance? (with pic)

For awhile now (maybe a couple months) DD has had a nappy rash we just can't seem to get rid of 100%. It'll nearly go away, to the point you would barely notice it, but then it flares up again. I thought it was teething because shes been getting molars and dribbling loads. Recently it's started getting bumpy and very painful for the poor mite. This has made me question whether she has a food allergy or intolerance of some sort? She hasn't had any problems before this, and she was exclusively BFed until 6mos and is still BFed (although barely) now with no problems.

Anyone else seen this kind of rash? (sorry, it's of my DDs bum cheek, I needed to take a pic because its so hard to describe)

Sent from the land of "iSomethings" so forgive me for any spelking misstaks

It looks infected to me. She may need antibiotics.

Looks pretty nasty hun. I had to take my DS to the doc as his wasn't going away (a bit like your DD, I managed to almost get rid of it, but it always came back). He needed a special cream that got rid of it (it's been a few weeks now). I now have to continue with a antifungal cream. GL hun.

Could also be fungal, or a mixture of both. Had a nasty one with DD1, it took a regime of creams to clear up (using what I already had in conjunction with advice from the chemist)
    From memory it was a layer of anti fungal cream, covered with Desitin (stinky but oh so good) 2 times a day. The in between changes I would use Bepanthen.

Best to get a medical professional to look at it though. They might be able to prescribe one cream that does it all.

Thanks ladies

Is thrush a fungal problem? I took DD to the doc yesterday arvo and she said it looks like thrush but to keep an eye out for when I change her nappy around 6hrs after a meal and see if it gets inflamed again more then it could be food related..

I dont know. Poor thing she suggested using hydrozole to clear it up, it's a steroid though and DDs skin is broken, she said its fine but when i use it, it seems to cause her so much pain!

Is the broken bit ulcerated almost? If it is my DS gets a rash very much like this from some food additives, mainly msg and similar "natural" flavours he won't get it straight away but if he's eating heaps of it. I use a cycle of moogoo, sudocream and qv cream to get rid of it. He's got scars it got so bad before we figured out what was causing it

sent from my watzamajig so may not make sense....

Allergies can make it worse but it could also be fungal. Try daktozin it works great on thrush. But keep using it for a week after the rash is gone. If you use cloth nappies make sure you use a canestan rinse on the nappies also.

Looks like a nasty case of inflamed thrush to me. The spots are usually a good indicator of thrush. I second the use of Daktozin, make sure you apply a thick layer, change nappy regularly and keep using it for a week after the rash disappears (as em said).

Thanks ladies. I'll go get some of that cream tomorrow.

Angelpants - it doesn't look ulcerated, I think? It just seems like the skin is very chaffed and has been rubbed/wiped too much and a layer or so of skin has come off, causing the bloody look. Though when I wipe/Dab around that area I very rarely actually get blood on the wipe.

Is she in disposable or cloth nappies?

She's in disposables raven, how come?

ah thats good, cos we were getting blood on the actual nappies etc *cry* fingers crossed its easily treated with a medicated cream.

Two of my boys were very sensitive to disposables. So bad that if I used them without a heap of zinc, there would be a bleeding rash at next nappy change. This was part of the reason I went cloth with DS3 (the other was leakage issues). If I had a break from cloth with him and used disposables, he'd have a nasty bleeding rash again.

Not pushing the cloth agenda on you, but putting it out there that a reason for her rash could be the disposable nappies themselves.

Also try the unscented/sensitive wipes or just water and cotton wool or soft washcloth to see if it could be that causing it too!
    Last edited by ~Raven~; June 17th, 2012 at 05:42 PM.

Looks like thrush to me. Id also recommend washing with only water, and allowing nappy free time as much as possible. Fresh air seems to allow the wounds to dry and heal better. It seemed the best trick at healing my ds nappy rash from teething, which looked very similar to your DD.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.

Angelpants - your poor bubba! That would have been so painful I've been occasionally getting blood on wiping, but not on the actual nappies.

Raven - we have used sposies for most her life, and we've never really had any issues with them causing rashes, occasionally she got a rash if she had a tummy bug or was teething, but nothing like this. Ever. Poor thing its good to keep in mind though in case this does seem to stick around! We used cloth for awhile but then DH "couldn't cope" with how the nappies worked and such so we went back to sposies

Bskilner - we've been trying to do nappy-free time, but for some reason she's pooing a lot more than usual, and last time we gave her nappy free time (about 1-2 days ago) she pooed on the carpet!! Lol. I've been rather hesitant since. That and it's been freezing down here! I have a feeling she got an initial rash from teething but then maybe it turned into thrush? I can't think of how she got thrush at all, neither of us have ever had it!

Thrush is just when an organism from one area goes somewhere its not supposed too. Like girls wiping back to front. Easier to get when the skin is broken too.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.