Thread: gluten free bread recipe

Default gluten free bread recipe

Hi,

My DS has recently been diagnosed with gluten intolerance and I have been searching the internet looking for a GF bread recipe. Have tried a few but with no luck. Was wondering if anyone has one that they use with success and would be willing to share.

He has just lost his dairy and egg allergies and now this has shown up....wondering if it will ever end.

Thanks

Tracey

Hi Tracey - I am on a GF diet too so if you have any questions at all, feel free to ask. Firstly - how are you making your GF bread? Do you have a breadmaker and if yes, is it the one that says it makes GF bread? I have found that there are only a very small few GF bread recipes that work but they've got to be in a breadmaker. Also.......TBH, I rarely make my own bread these days. The cost of a loaf is very comparable with buying in shops (depending on the brand) and the shop bought ones last in the fridge at least a week. I can give you some recommendations on the best ones if that is helpful?

hi starangelk,

Thanks for the response, some recommendations for bread brought in the shops would be great...and which shops?! I have looked in the local supermarket and health food store, could not find anything. Would be much easier to buy then make

Tracey

Hey Tracey - yep, I am all about the easy! Woolworths (or Safeway depending on where you are!) sell a great one called Country Life. The Low GI one is the best one for sandwhiches but multigrain is the best for toasting. I am pretty sure they also sell this from Coles.

Vitality Bakehouse is also a fabulous brand and it's from Victoria. I buy this one from Mrs Flannery's which is a health food shop in Qld.

They are my 2 faves but I have tried heaps. A few warnings:

1. GF bread takes 2 toasts to toast it, so basically you need to put it in the toaster twice. Not really sure why.
    2. It needs to go in the fridge. I find the outside shelf life only 2 - 3 days but a loaf in the fridge can last for ages. Some people recommend the freezer......I don't because I think I can taste freezer taste on it.
    3. Don't buy any bread that isn't already cut. GF bread can be really crumbly so I find that if I buy a non sliced loaf - I don't get value out of it.

Also another tip about pasta.........I go to the asian grocers and buy my pasta from there because they sell heaps of varying types of rice pastas. Even though some of it isn't english - the ingredients always are and when I see "Rice and Water" then I know I can't go wrong It's seriously the cheapest way to buy GF pasta and it tastes great.

Good luck to you and your son! It's a hard journey but once you have worked out which brands work for you, it can actually be managed fairly economically. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info or help

thanks

will head down to Woolworth's tomorrow and see if I can find some, it is in the bread aisle?

Yep! At my woolies, it's in the bread isle far. The proper bread isle, not the woolies brand section. Mine is on the very bottom shelf at the end too........it's hard for me to bend down to pick it up atm

I sympathise with the not being able to bed down my #2DS is 12 weeks old and those pregnancy memories are still strong.

Can't wait to get to the shops now and have a look. DS loves bread but has been unable to have any since we cut out gluten 4 weeks ago! We do baking at play group which is the reason why I would like a recipe to make it from scratch, so he can still have his "roll" with the other kids. I do have a recipe but it needs to be twicked so it is not so dense.

Thanks for the help, will let you know how I go tomorrow.

Tracey