Thread: 5yo - sore tummy (day 2...)

Default 5yo - sore tummy (day 2...)

DS1 has been complaining of a tummy ache for 2 days now.

We've spoken with a nurse, we've taken him to the Dr, and nothing is evidently wrong.

He's not constipated, there's no diarrhoea, there's no fever, there's no vomiting or gagging or nausea, there's no lumps or particularly tender spots, and we specifically asked the Dr about possibilities of appendicitis. There's no hot spots.

Nada.

We've been doing standard things (park, zoo, meals, sleep, etc). He's eating and drinking and playing normally.

But periodically, he's complaining (sometimes tearfully) that his tummy "really hurts".

He describes it as being sore under his belly button, a few centimetres below (just where the belly pot starts curving out) in the centre, along that line. It sounds like an ache, rather than pinching or stabbing pain.

My mummy-sense is that there's nothing seriously wrong, but it's upsetting that I can't fix it ...

Any ideas?

We'll be heading back to the Dr tomorrow if it's still hurting, but in the interim ... any insight?

Default Re: 5yo - sore tummy (day 2...)

Is he the type of kid that gets wound up or anxious about anything? I have a few kids who get the tummy pain when they are overly worried or anxious about something. The other thing could be a pulled muscle?

So we ended up in the hospital, and then booked in for surgery (appendix) and then un-booked, and told it was a viral or glandular thing, which should nick off in the upcoming days.

He's sleeping now.

He's still got discomfort, but it's good to know that it's cramps from that, and not something more serious.

So lots of fluid, lots of rest, warm baths, hot water bottles, etc.

What a huge few days for you all! How is he now? I hope it did bugger off like they said it would.

Today was better than yesterday, yesterday was better than the 4 days before it.

I'm happy he's on the mend