Thread: Any correlation between residual smoking and eczema?

Question Any correlation between residual smoking and eczema?

HI all

My 5mth old DS has eczema and recently I have noticed that whenever the IL's (who are VERY heavy smokers) come to visit, his eczema flares up horribly! Even with emu oil, lanolin and cortisone cream, it takes at least 2 days after they have been for it to settle down. The last time they were here, I noticed in the bath that night that his entire face was covered in the rash (usually just his cheeks and forehead are affected), as well as his forearms (never usually a rash) and the rash behind his knees was so much worse than normal. He also developed a rash behind his neck (also not usually affected).

So, could the flare up be from them smoking? We have asked and told them so many times not to, but they are just too stubborn, and if we told them that their grandson's health was being affected (not to mention our DD who gets asthma worse when they are here) they wouldn't believe that they could be the cause of it.

Like I said, I've only recently noticed the coincidences, so have really started to put 2 and 2 together ... am I coming up with somewhere near the right answer?

Any experiences, advice, opinions etc are much appreciated!

Hi,
    I'm not sure whether smoke would cause eczema to flare up but may well as asthma and eczema are related. My DD suffers from asthma and we do not allow anyone to smoke in our house. I would tell your IL's that from now on if they want to smoke they will have to go outside as it affects your children, I wouldn't take any chances.

Regards,
    Dianne

We don't allow ANYONE to smoke indoors, but the kids play outside and the IL's smoke outside ... the smell (and I'm sure the smoke as well) lingers. I would prefer that no-one smokes AT ALL ANYWHERE that my kids are likely to be (but you can't exactly tell people on the street to stay away can you? ) But you'd at least think people would respect your decisions in your own house???
    Maybe I'm just super sensitive (emotionally as well as sensory)

I don't mean to come across as one of those stuffy critical anti smoking people, as I am an ex-smoker myself and an asthmatic! At the end of the day, my kids health comes first!

ETA: And really, is it that hard to go without a cigarette for a few hours???
    Last edited by mountain mummy; January 4th, 2009 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added info

If they are smoking outside at your place, It is possible that they are bringing in smoke particles on their hands and clothes that your kids are reacting to.

I am always surprised and saddened when people won't miss out on a ciggarette, while in the presence of kids. Or who will go outside and have one, but then not wash their hands before holding or touching a baby.