Thread: Baby Growth Issues?

Default Baby Growth Issues?

Ok so i posted a thread not long ago about my Dd having constipation.
    Well she still has it ;( she is poo'ing but struggling to push them out as they are formed and hard, well today she had blood present and was advised to take her to the hospital.
    Bit of what has been happening, after countless dr visits, changed formula, dr thought she maybe lactose intolerant as i am, but she reacted terribly to the formula and they took her off it straight away and put her back on Nan Comfort 1.
    So today she had blood in her stools and vomited like an adult would, gagging and just vomiting everywhere.
    So we made our way to the hospital and it turns out she has also lost weight.
    My daughter was 4.07kg on friday and as of today she is 3.78kg.
    The hospital has adv to put her on coloxial drops again 3x a day and also has to be re weighed in a week and then referred to a paed to closely monitor her weight and also try and work out the constipation if still on going.
    Besides the constipation, im devastated about her weight, she is now 4 weeks and 1 day and is only 378grams off her birth weight [emoji22]
    I feel like im failing her but have no idea how to help her
    Has anyone had this occur?
    Anyone who has had an outcome that could possibly save me the long road ahead?
    They said she will have to have a heap of testing done but have no idea what that entails..
    Tia i truly appreciate any response

Default Re: Baby Growth Issues?

If she is only 4wks old then they should be investigating why a 4wk old baby has constipation instead of just giving her coloxyl. The weight loss could just be from the vomiting - she may be a little dehydrated and it wont take much for her to lose weight. Honestly, I wouldn't be waiting a week to see if she improves, I'd be demanding them do something now.

Trillian thats what i said!
    The vomit she has today was basically the biggest she has ever had, its normally a little chuck here and there, i also adv that she isnt feeding 100% as in she is meant to be on 120mls by now and is still only drinking 80-90mls every 4 hours and sometimes i have to wake her to feed.
    I was saying to DH i will be ringing my DS's paed tomorrow to book her in cause i dont want to weight incase she looses more weight.
    I have also been giving her some water through out the day between feeds to hopefully help her bowels but to no avail.
    I personally hate the drops i think that once its stops again she will remain the same as she did last time, the dr said "she needs more invasive monitoring and her in emergency thats very hard" which i was a little surprised as she is still new. But i agree, and will def call the paed tomorrow

I wouldn't wait either.
    I wonder if some probiotics would help?

Well im definitely not waiting, rang my sons paed and surprisingly they fit her straight in today for 4pm so hopefully ill get some answers fingers x'd

I hope the paed can give some answers, sounds very stressful for you. My kids can get constipated as are Cows milk protein intolerant (CMPI) - so different to lactose intolerance but much more common than lactose intolerance in babies. They also had severe reflux and quite often the 2 problems go together. My daughters was silent reflux and my son was a vomiter though my daughters pain and reflux was far worse. Your daughter may need a dairy free formula where the proteins are broken down. In a lactose free formula its just the lactose thats been broken down. Over the counter you can but karicare Allerpro which is for mild to moderate CMPI and then there is pepti-junior and then neocate and elecare but they are prescription formulas. My son was on both neocate and allerpro.

Also check out the Reflux Infants Associations website (RISA) Reflux Infants Support Association Inc there is lots of good info on there including about constipation and also food intolerances.

No advice, but just wanted to send a Your poor little bub Hope you get some answers soon x

Thanks ladies, i went to her appt and he adv the lactose free ones wont work on her and will make her suffer from colic thats why when we tried one she went crazy.
    He adv to drop her feeds to 3 hrs and 90mls and put a levelled teaspoon of brown sugar in every bottle.
    So far she is more calmer but her poo's are getting there very slowly.
    Which has prompted me to think of relactating.
    Thanks for all the info Razzberry!
    Def going to do some research.
    Been at it all day today lol