Thread: baby waking up pale

Default baby waking up pale

Hi

I just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced this with their baby. My son is now 12mths and when he was 4mths he woke crying one night and was straining and then turned white. We rushed him to emergency and they ran tests and put it down to a hyper responsive episode. Then at 10mths he woke in the middle of the night and this time crying and gagging and we thought he was choking and he went pale again. Rushed him to hospital and then thought it was vasso vegal. Took him to a paedeatrician who ran EEG and ECG and ruled everything out. Then at 12mths (last night) he woke up crying out and then we picked him up and he started gagging again. He then went really white. Called the paramedics who checked him out and he was fine. In all instances the colour returns within 30mins and he is fine. I am now thinking it is related to gastro intestinal since everything else has been ruled out. Cant get in to see paed for another couple of weeks but will get him to check all that. Im not worried that its anything serious but its very scary and id like to understand what is causing it. It seems to be that he is in pain and thats what causes him to go white.
    Has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks
    S

That sounds really scarey.
    Your son still breaths during the straining?
    No ideas, just Hope the paed can find a cause, maybe ultrasound of his tummy area etc

I haven't had it personally with any of my kids. A GF of mine's little Grandson is having grommets put in, adenoids and tonsils removed due to sleep apnoea. Perhaps an ENT may also help?
    Very scary situation for you, hope you get some answers.

Could it be a reflux type thing? I'm not sure the name but a friend's son had sever reflux, even though he didn't throw up much at all - it would just come up during the night and he would choke on it - I'll find out the name from her so you can read and see if it sounds similar.

How scary for you I hope you can start to figure out what it is!

**Sent from my phone using Tapatalk.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Ash~ View Post
    Could it be a reflux type thing? I'm not sure the name but a friend's son had sever reflux, even though he didn't throw up much at all - it would just come up during the night and he would choke on it - I'll find out the name from her so you can read and see if it sounds similar.

Silent reflux?

It was GORD - not sure if silent reflux is the same kind of thing though.
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gord

Thanks guys. It happened again tonight!! He has a cold and woke up crying. When we took him out of his cot he started gagging and then went white. It's just frustrating coz we don't know why it keeps happening and what it is

It's not sleep apnea?

If he has a cold, he could have an inflamed throat possibly. It would be worth a trip to the GP and see what they think.

Hope u can get to the bottom of it

A friend from mothers group son had similar symptoms. He was diagnosed with sleep apnoea, that he grew out of eventually.

We have had trouble with that too. DD has reflux, and has always woken up plenty in the night screaming for breathe. many nights I have stayed awake because her reflux has been bad, and Im scared she wont wake up to breathe

Unhappy Same happening to us

Hi Sarak, I know it has been a few years since your post. Can you please reply if you ever found out what was causing this? Did the baby outgrow it? We are having the same symptoms, it only happened once so far, but it is so out of ordinary. My baby is very healthy/happy otherwise. Tomorrow is our doctor's appointment, the receptionist said it could have been a seizure

Please reply. There is nothing more online about this, other than your forum post.

With much appreciation!

Default Re: baby waking up pale

Sorry lana86 I haven't been on here for a while as you can see 😊. My baby is now 4 and at 17mrhs we had his adenoids removed and it never happened again!! His adenoids were apparent massive. I hope you managed to work out what was wrong with your bub.