Thread: Diarroeah & really bad gas

Default Diarroeah & really bad gas

Ds (22 mths) has had diarrhoea & really, really bad smelling gas for a few days now. Changing at least 6 a day, his poor bottom is red. Today is day 3. Started Friday, quite watery. Saturday very loose. Today the same. No vomit yet. Off food, seems ok in himself. Drinking water. Maybe a bit less energetic than usual.

I will take him to gp tomorrow if no improvement today, but just wondered if anyone has experienced similar & if you actually found out what caused it (ie which bacteria/infection). Any advice/experiences welcome.

Default Re: Diarroeah & really bad gas

Giardia can cause nasty diarrhoea without vomiting or any other symptoms. DH had it once and it lasted a couple of weeks before he went to the doctor but cleared up quickly once he had some antibiotics.

Yep, what Atrechim said. I've had Giardia
    and it was terrible.! ABs cleared it up pretty quickly though.

thanks, ladies. he slept for 3 hours today - absaloutely unheard of around here. changed 5 already today, first 3 all within 15 mins of each other. he seems to be a bit flat today. cheeks a little red. I'll take him to gp tomorrow, and I'll google giardia now... ;-)

Shame, your poor bubba boy 😔 hope it doesn't hang around too long and he has a quick recovery! it's so uncomfortable

thanks, gee whizzy. xx

it does sound more like giardia, I'll be interested in what the gp says tomorrow.

Good luck for tomorrow! let us know how you go 😊

Good luck. Hope it gets sorted quickly xx

ds woke up a bit perkier, no poo's at all today. ate breakfast, snacks etc. I took him anyway just in case, but dr said its not unusual for diarrhoea to last a week. as long as his fluids are ok, she wasn't too concerned. especially as he seemed fine grabbing all the instruments of her desk (not the big box of toys on the floor of course..). she mentioned it could be range of things and said we could do a stool sample but that's messy & wouldn't change treatment plan.
    I think he's on the mend now anyway, appetite is back & bottom seems to have closed shop. thank goodness. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Andie78 View Post
    ds woke up a bit perkier, no poo's at all today. ate breakfast, snacks etc. I took him anyway just in case, but dr said its not unusual for diarrhoea to last a week. as long as his fluids are ok, she wasn't too concerned. especially as he seemed fine grabbing all the instruments of her desk (not the big box of toys on the floor of course..). she mentioned it could be range of things and said we could do a stool sample but that's messy & wouldn't change treatment plan.
    I think he's on the mend now anyway, appetite is back & bottom seems to have closed shop. thank goodness. :-)
    glad to hear he's better!