Thread: Looking for positive stories regarding Tonsils and Adanoid Removal

Question Looking for positive stories regarding Tonsils and Adanoid Removal

Hi there all

DS is booked in to have his tonsils and adenoids removed on the 3/3 and I'm a tad apprehensive so I'm looking for positive stories about how your child was after the surgery and did it improve their health a great deal - would you do it again if you had your chance over?? DS has suffered greatly from throat infections and the doctor is of the understanding that this would improve his condition somewhat - but i'd like to hear of RL stories IYKWIM

TIA

My oldest son had his adenoids removed about 2 and a half years ago as well as grommets put in his ears, I've not had any problems since then with his ears or him snoring. I also would do it again if I had too.

My best friends oldest daugther had her tonsils and adenoids removed a year ago and she hasn't had any problems at all since my friend has said that it's a 100% improvement on her.

Just as a side note, adenoids can grow back, which I didn't know until I read the info that I had been given about the surgery.

hugs xoxo

I had both sets removed at a children's hospital when I was 4 and have very lucid memories of it. A tiny bit of a sore throat after the event but nothing major...they do make sure kids eat a meal a bit after they wake up though. May have changed now though but even when my hubby had his out as an adult a few years ago they said he MUST eat something...it might hurt a little to eat, I remember it stinging a tiny bit...but really didn't hurt in a major way. Not enough to make me cry so can't have been too bad.

I has shocking problems as a baby and toddler with my tonsils and haven't had a complaint since they came out all those years ago.

Would totally go through it again if I had to. My parents never had any complaints about it either.

Well, I just spent all day yesterday looking after five children who had their adenoids and tonsils out, so I might be able to offer some advice...

The surgery is usually offered to children who have repetitive bouts of tonsillitis that are interfering with schooling, or that are causing significant sleep difficulties. There are some risks involved - the main one being bleeding - but these complications are rare, and your child will be kept in hospital overnight and closely monitored to keep that from happening.

The best thing you can do to help your little one recover quickly is to make sure they eat foods. Some surgeons suggest sticking to soft and cool foods, but there is no evidence that eating a normal diet causes any problems. The important thing is that they eat something, as soon as possible after the operation, and keep eating afterwards when they go home, and the best way to ensure this happens is to give them regular pain relief for the 48-72 hours after the operation. While they are in hospital they should be given their pain relief regularly, and once you go home you should continue it. Most surgeons recommend paracetamol or codeine for pain relief, and you should not give any nurofen, ibuprofen, or aspirin for at least 14 days after the operation.

Good stories? Well, of the five children I looked after yesterday, three of them barely even cried after they came back to the ward; two of them were quite upset but settled down within half an hour of coming back to the ward; and all of them were eating chips, biscuits, and sandwiches by the end of the evening.

The benefits to sleeping and attention might not appear at first; initially, they have a lot of swelling where the tonsils were and this takes a few days to settle down, and depending on the surgical technique there may be some burned tissue or clots at the back of the throat that can take 10-14 days to peel away. But after that, you'll find they will start sleeping better, be better behaved during the day because they're not so tired, and grow like they've been fertilised because they're not using all of their energy to fight off tonsillitis.

Thanks so much for all the feedback - now I just need to deal with it and get it over and done with - lol - wish us luck