Thread: pale yellow stools

Default pale yellow stools

my 17 month old is getting every few weeks pale yellow stools. they start off as diarrhoea for a couple of days then ends up explosive for a couple of days then change to a normal colour by the weeks end. she has associated vomiting the day before they start. I have normally said its gastro but the vomiting is only a couple of times then the pale yellow stools happen then next day. I am going to be taking her to the GP in the next few days but just wondering if anyone else has had this happen to their baby. she is still breastfed once a day and has normal cows milk during the day.

Default Re: pale yellow stools

Good luck with the docs appt.
    My now 10 month old was getting something a bit similar, though it was fairly clearly a reaction to certain foods and it sounds like the vomiting stage was more severe.
    2 hours after he eats egg or sweet potato or fish (and maybe other stuff we don't know about yet) he vomits profusely for a couple of hours till he's absolutely empty. The last couple of vomits are just bile. Then he has diarrhea for a few days before it all clears up. At first his stool is almost white, a really pale tan or yellow and then it slowly returns to normal. The explanation I got for the colour is that he's thrown up so much bile the day before and that affects the stool. Once he's accumulated enough bile again, his stool goes back to normal.
    I also thought it was gastro the first couple of times.
    Are there any newish foods? Has she been having cows milk for long?
    Good luck working it out!

aww poor munchkin!

she has been on cows milk since 12 months old.

I have never noticed anything different with her food. she eats everything we do. the other morning she woke up then vomited all through her bed. then was fine until she developed the diarrhoea the next day.

nobody else in the family is getting sick when she gets this so its what is making me think its not gastro. plus I have never seen such pale beigy yellow stools before.

will definitely be keeping an eye on her food to see if its something she is eating.

Oh poor little thing.
    The pale stool colour could be linked to loosing bile through the vomiting....(or it could be something else)
    Maybe keep a food diary for a little while to see if that helps isolate anything. It would at least give you more information to help the doctor and you work it all out.
    Poor thing, doesn't sound fun at all. Hope you get it sorted out soon.

And yep my little one had two bouts of 'gastro' and I was surprised no one else in the family got it then thought over what he'd eaten and realised he'd had egg both times and not in between. Then I googled 'throwing up after eating egg' and straight away found sites on fpies type allergy. Asked his doc and yep that's the problem. He was also eating everything I was and he'd had egg 5 or so times before without any trouble. It seems it just took his body a little while to start reacting to it, but now he's really sensitive... Apparently cow's milk is a common trigger as well but 5 months of having it every day makes it seem very unlikely that's the problem.