Thread: Toddlers and car accidents- injury or anxiety?

Default Toddlers and car accidents- injury or anxiety?

On Thursday DS (13.5 months) and I were t-boned by another vehicle as I was driving causing my vehicle to spin out of control and hit a pole. After the accident he screamed and cried for about 2hrs non stop until we were able to calm him down. We were both taken to the hospital were he was deemed to have sustained no injuries and I have whiplash. Since the accident though he has been quite out of sorts and has been a lot more unsettled than usual. Given he can't tell me if he is any pain I'm wondering if he could have a whiplash type injury that wasn't picked up by the Drs or if it could be that he has had a big fright and is feeling anxious? I have a Drs appointment booked with our gp to get him double checked for injury but in the meantime does anyone have any experience with toddlers and car accidents?

Default Re: Toddlers and car accidents- injury or anxiety?

It's possible it's both, I'd look at taking him to see an osteo, glad you're both ok xxx

So glad you're both ok, too.

I'd get you both checked out by someone too - I'd go to a chiro, but chiro / osteo - whatever you normally tend towards, is who I'd go to.

It might just be a minor issue with the neck, or something else, but I'd get it checked out soon, to be sure, and (if necessary) corrected.

Hugs.

Had this with a 2mo Liebling. He was fine the same day, but within 48hrs was suffering with whiplash and had a bruised penis from the car seat buckle. That was through a cloth nappy too!

We also had behavioural stuff, like fearing a carseat and pain stopping him from going to sleep alone. When the pain stopped, it was then a learned behaviour. But he outgrew it 4 years later, and it may have set in anyway.

Carseatwise, I used a carrier for 2 weeks, then did short trips with the carseat on the pushchair to get him used to it for small trips. That worked well and he could cope with the car again after a month or so.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look on google and see if I can find an osteo in my area for us. I tend to shy away from chiros after a bad experience and am more of a physio girl myself but I have heard lots of great things about osteos so will give it a go.

Ca Plane- he has been in a car multiple times since the accident and was fine in his car seat (luckily we had 2 as the one involved in the crash is now gone) so I'm hoping he will be ok with that side of it but will take note of your tips if he starts showing signs of fear.