Thread: tonsilectomy due to sleep aponea

Default tonsilectomy due to sleep aponea

Hello

My DD has very large tonsils that is causing sleep apnoea, she also sounds like a mini darth varder during the day. Apart from that it doesn't bother her and isn't sore.
    She has an appointment with an ENT in a couple of weeks, which im sure she will need a tonsillectomy.

I am a very worried and over an protective mother, so was just wondering if anyone can tell me all about their experience of this.

One of my big concerns is... Will her tonsils being so large cause them grief when putting a tube down when she is under a GA because her airway is already compromised?
    I have been in with her before for a GA and I have seen many GA's in my job, so I know what they are like, but haven't seen one with someone with an already comprised airway.

thank you in advance

Default Re: tonsilectomy due to sleep aponea

It will go down her nose so will bypass her tonsils.

I will be back later to respond. My daughter had hers removed when she was 7. She also had large tonsils but it was the recurrent infections making her very ill. So bad in fact her clotting factor were very low so she was catching everything under the sun and bleeding excessively. At one stage they were thinking she had leukemia but it all turned out it was her tonsils making her ill. I was of the mind that they are there for a reason and could stay unless they absolutely had to come out. Which they did.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

We just had this done together with adenoids removed which they will probably suggest also.
    I was freaking out also as DD snored like no ones business and used to breath out her mouth in her sleep and her pillow and hair was wet every morning.
    The change in her breathing has been amazing! The recovery is tougher to watch than I expected to be honest but if you keep up regular pain meds as instructed then you will be fine.
    It's been 6 weeks since the op and we have been loads better so it was a good decision for us.

Oh wow Mildez that is some scary stuff! I hope she is much better now. Was also hoping they would go down the nose and not the throat but every thing I find shows they go down the throat still, and I just don't want them wasting time trying to go down the throat.

Joeve, A relief to hear that the change in you DD's breathing has been amazing. As scared as I am about the whole surgery, I am very excited about the new lease on life she will have.

Every thing is making sense now that I know its her tonsils

All those times DD would look so tired with big bags under her eyes even though she had a"good 12hrs" sleep
    Those times she sounded like she was coming down with a cold so we used to not go to play dates so not to make other kids sick but she was always fine
    The amounts of food she eats and how tiny she is.
    The way she sounds like a mini darth Vader during the day
    The other day when she felt dizzy with blurred vision, clammy and blue lips.

Everything fits into place now.
    If all goes well with surgery she is going to a new child.

Just wish in a way that surgery could come sooner.

Do I need to worry about the sleep apnea? im so worried that she will stop breathing and not start again. Im tired just by staying in her room watching her all night.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

I think the surgery will solve all those things goodluck