Thread: 1st birthday cake ideas

Default 1st birthday cake ideas

I've been thinking about what to do for DD's first birthday cake but not sure what to make...
    My mum said it *has* to be a number one, but I think that's a bit boring Plus I don't have the right shaped cake tins to do that.

So..I'm definitely no Ace of Cakes but I would like it to be special. Hit me with some ideas
    I was thinking about having a plain vanilla/butter cake, I don't really want to be giving her chocolate cake at this age!

How about a nice vanilla cake, with the number one spelt out in mini pink and white marshmallows?

does DD have something spesh that she is into? do YOU have a theme idea for her?

DD's cake was chosen based on her invite - which had rainbow and unicorn on it - so we took that and ran with it. we did do chocolate because we realised it was mostly for others - she didn't get that much cake (ok, so she got a LOT during the smash session BUT, that was a one off thing) - in general, we don't forbid anything, but we don't shower her with anything

if you're wanting to do a cake yourself Ace of Cakes style (you're brave!), i would stick with something simple - a plain square cake and use the decorations to make it "pop" - maybe green with sugar butterflies and flowers or something.... they're fairly simple but can be very pretty. just be sure you know how much weight a vanilla cake can take - the last thing you want is to have everything ready and then have it flop due to the weight of it

What about a butterfly or a bunny. I did these for my DD1 and DD2's 1st birthdays. You can buy a number 1 candle and put it on the cake. It's something cute for them. You can rent a cake tin in the shape at most cake stores. They usually charge $5 to rent for 3 days. I have a Womens Weekly childrens birthday cake book which I got from the newsagency. It has alot of different cakes and I let the kids choose what they want. They have all the directions in the book and it is really simple to do. I plan to keep the book until they are too old for cakes and make one every year. I write who had what cake at what age next to the cake to keep. My mom did the same and I always loved looking at what cakes we had as kids.

I am making vanilla cupcakes for DS's 1st birthday in July and I have decided to go with a "Where is the green sheep" theme! He squeals in delight when I get the book out, so i thought I would get creative and go a bit 'ace of cakes' and make something myself. I have done a practice run and they looked pretty darn good (if I do say so myself!)

Dont forget you can hire out cake tins these days.. so if you did decide to do a number one, you could always hire one.

she absolutely loves our dog, and always goes "duck duck duck" when we go to the park that has ducks or into the bathroom, so I guess she likes ducks too? Lol. I'm not sure that anywhere here hires out cake tins, we do have a 'kitchen things' store so I might ask them but that'd be the only place likely to do it.

Miss H - that's such a great idea! I used to love looking through mum's WW birthday cake book, although I always chose the same thing every year.. a paddock with some of my toy horses on it

Default 1st birthday cake ideas

We had a square cake with a duck image on it as dd loves ducks and had the 1 candle. She loved it as she knew it was her duck, and everyone commented as it wasn't the typical 1 shape cake.

Dont feel restricted coz you dont have the cake tins....besides costing a fortune, you can easily cut the shape out of the cake itself - easy peasy.

I did a #1 for my DD#3 covered in smarties.....just baked 2 bar cakes (like loaf tins), froze them, then will semi thawed...cut them into shape.....very easy.

YOu could always search for cupcake toppers that resemble ducks...etc....cook up a batch of cupcakes, buy yourself a cupcake stand, and believe me, it will look fantastic.

GL !!!

sugarcraftbyrosie sell duck cupcake toppers which are made of royal icing.. they are very cute

For DD we made a 1 with hot pink icing and covered in Smarties.
    For DS I made a Mickey Mouse...TBH wish I'd gone with my first instinct and made the electric blue 1 with smarties.

1 is really easy - it's only 2 bar tins cut to make a 1.
    I have also made/had Noah's ark, a 3D dragon, a star, a moon, a toadstool, whale, cup cakes decorated (there are some awesome designs for those), a monster, a car...ummm love the WW cake books but there are heaps of others too.

I did a number one cake for DD with coc icing and smarties. I did the same as the other girls suggested and just cut 2 bar cakes to make the pieces. Was really easy.

Was thinking you could do a round cake and cover it with icing and put blue marsipan icing on top for a pond and then buy the little rubber ducks to put on top.

Search 1st birthday cake images online as well for some ideas.

There are also places online that you can order that edible icing with a photo of your choice imprinted on it. You can choose a round or rectagular or square cake.

I made DD a butterfly for her first birthday cake...i used two round tins, you can find the stencils online it was surprisingly easy, I used betty crockers angel cake and ready made icing and I decorated with coloured icing and smarties. I was so proud of how it turned out.

For DS's 1st birthday I did a teddy bears picnic cake. Just a square cake which I covered with fondant (coloured it green for grass). Then I used more fondant and coloured it other colours to make the bears and picnic rug and food. It was very easy, just like moulding playdoh! lol...You should be able to see my album on FB ss - there are pics in there.

For DD's first birthday I did a very hungry caterpillar. It was 5 small round green frosted cakes for the body, 1 small round red frosted cake for the head, some licorice feet, eyes and feelers, then sprinkled some coconut to make him a bit furry! Super easy and looked pretty neat, if I don't say so myself hehe.

I did a number 1 cake - cos you *have* to lol and because I wanted to, I also did a fairy toadstool house. They both turned out really well and she loved them both...although I dare say she lived the icing and musk sticks the best!

The AWW cookbooks are the bomb, sure to find something in there to spark your imagination!