Thread: 2 shaped cake - help!

Default 2 shaped cake - help!

DS's 2nd birthday is coming up (can't quite believe we made it to here) and i wanted to make a 2 shaped cake with a licorice strap railway track on it with a thomas sitting on the track.

so i have NO idea how to make the shape of the 2. can you buy tins in that shape or should i just bake a slab and a ring shaped cake and then cut it into the template?

also, any ideas for decorations would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

I'm in Melbourne but there is a shop here where you can hire the tin - I hired one for a week and made two and froze them (one for creche). Maybe a cake shop near you would do the same?

I second the hire tin. i just hired a number 2 cake tin for $5 and it was so worth it. I got it from a cake decorating shop.

Otherwise, my women's weekly birthday cake book has the plans for a number 2 cake. It uses a large square and a bar tin.

Are you NOR or SOR? I know there's a cake decorating store in Balcatta. Not sure about SOR.

The kids cake books are usually great at showing you how to cut cakes into different shapes. I did a 3 for my daughter a couple of years ago using a ring pan and it turned out really good! Of course, a 2 shape tin would be easier, but it CAN be done without. Maybe have a practise run?

Default Re: 2 shaped cake - help!

You can hire the tins quite cheaply and the shop should be able to tell you how much cake mix you'll need to make.

There is Cake Tinz n Things in Balcatta and there is a little place in Morley Markets opposite Galleria. Can't remember the name. They both hire tins.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyMama View Post
    should i just bake a slab and a ring shaped cake and then cut it into the template?

TIA
    That is exactly what I did and it worked perfectly..

or a ring pan and a couple of bar tins would make a 2.
    Can you get your hands on the original Womens Weekly Cake book?

in the womans day one they make 2 cakes a square and a bar thn lay them together use the bar as the base of 2 cut out the shape of a 2

if you want i can scan the page and email it to you pm if you want to go that way

thanks everyone.

i might give it a trial run and go the 2 shaped tin if it's too tricky. i'm an amateur baker!

rach75 that would be fantastic if you could pm me the page. thank you so much!

rouge & eluned - thanks for the cake tin places - i live in ellenbrook so morley or balcatta are both fine.

I did a 5 shaped cake last year with a ring and a rectangle shaped cake...although lucky it was iced..the icing held little bits & pieces together LOL

Good luck!

I might try this! Number cakes are so cute! Wish DD's birthday would hurry up, lol!

I ended up hiring a 2 shaped tin. It was awesome and well worth it. I heard a tip to rub it with copha which worked really well when it came time to remove the cake from the tin.

I'll look into a tin too I think! What is copha?? x