Thread: boy & girl cake ideas?

Default boy & girl cake ideas?

So ds1 and dd1 birthdays are both next week, will be 6 and 5 respectively. But right now I have pretty much ZILCH inspiration for either of their birthday cakes. I asked them both and ds just said two that he's had previously lol but I think I got out of him that he wants lots of lollies, whether I just cover a cake in buttercream and lollies or maybe do a treasure chest I don't know?
    When I asked dd she didn't know, I think she said something very random but whatever it was I've forgotten (terrible mother that I am!).

FWIW here's the cakes I've done for my children in past years-
    Monkey,
    Thomas the tank engine,
    Toystory,
    Mountain with race track & cars,
    3d Fire engine,
    Ladybug,
    Pooh bear,
    Two tier pink cake with flowers etc,
    Pink & white cake with butterflies & flowers,
    Big flower cake with lots of cupcake flowers,
    Teddy bears picnic,
    Butterfly,
    6 layer rainbow cake

I haven't yet worked out if I will do a joint party or separate celebrations as birthdays are on tues & fri this year. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated right now haha

Would your DS like those cakes with the kit kats around the edge with lollies covering the top?

I saw today a cool cake that when cut has big coloured polka dots inside! (the tutorial said they used a cake pop tray to cook the dots and then put them in a cake pan with batter and the batter rises to cover the dots).

I made the kit kat cake last year as a combined birthday cake for DDs 1 and 2 and it was a huge hit with everyone.

Ones I've made for my kids that you haven't already done:

a cloud fairy - simple round cake that you then cover with small white meringues and stuff a fairy on the top.
    A castle - the one I made was very pink but you could use different colours if you did a combined one for your kids - square cake with sponge rolls standing on their ends on each corner, ice cream cones on the top for turrets and then lollies used around the outside "walls" for drawbridges, flowers and vines etc.
    A turtle
    Caterpillar made of lots of cupcakes

Can't think of anything else for the moment but will come back if I do. Don't you just love birthdays close together!!

My brother had the castle one that Lulu described, it could be for either or both and we loved it because we got to decorate it ourselves There were A LOT of lollies!

Rainbow cake - google it! Perfect for both sexes!!

Good ideas, I like how simple the kit Kat one is coz I'm feeling rather pg so to speak to easys good this time haha. But castle could work and it'd mean only one cake instead of the two I've always done in previous years.

Mlr I did a rainbow cake for ds2 1st birthday in July last year

very hungry caterpillar.

[QUOTE=HomeStyleMumma;3288578]Good ideas, I like how simple the kit Kat one is coz I'm feeling rather pg so to speak to easys good this time haha. But castle could work and it'd mean only one cake instead of the two I've always done in previous years./QUOTE]

I did the kit kat cake last year for exactly that reason K. I was 37 odd weeks pregnant, and given all the cakes I was doing for school, kids parties, home party and ILs parties with two kids having birthdays 5 days apart, the kit kat cake was a really easy but still really gorgeous option.

Let me know if you want a picture of the castle. Oh, and thanks for this post. I've just wasted the last hour or so googling birthday cake ideas for girls ;-)

Rainbow for sure! Fun and pretty simple if you are organised!!!! Will post a photo of DD's when I work out how!!

Here it is!

another idea I have seen around the traps is a cake (whatever flavour/ however many layers etc..) covered in white fondant... then you get yourself a packet of edible food colour pens (google it if you dont know, FooDoodler, americolour etc) then let the kids doodle all over it! draw, write etc, whatever they want!

you could also do two smaller cakes, so they have one each?
    I love this idea, will be doing it for DS in a few years

Yep that's what I did for ds2 8mths ago ans considering the kids still remember it I doubt I can get away with it again so soon lol

Lulu you're welcome you will probably need ideas for your princesses very soon anyway so just think of it as getting in early

HotI VHC crossed my mind but I'm not sure that either of them would be that excited about it, maybe we should just read it over a few hundred times in the next few days that'll keep it fresh in their minds

Starry sky that's a really interesting idea Ill think about it.
    I'm not planning on doing any big 'party' this year its just to hard with dh away so much (hopefully home late Mon or tues so he won't miss ds1 bday!).
    Dd1 told me last night she would like a butterfly cake with a teddy bear having a picnic ontop of it! I nearly cracked up laughing at her I guess she's just remembering her sisters last two cakes and putting them together. I told her I wasn't sure if we would be able to do.exactly that but I'd think about it and whatever I ended up doing I'm sure she would like it. Seemed to suffice for now but she thinks I'm weird coz I find it very unusual to put a teddy drinking tea ontop of a big butterfly

Love it. My girls are getting more and more carried away each year with cake themes. I really enjoy cake decorating, but I'm not very good and they choose some seriously complicated things. They also don't seem to understand that a 9 tier cake is perhaps a tad much for a family dinner at home!!

Ombr? - each layer is a shade less, great for colours like mint, caramel, chocolate strawberry
    Then outside can be simple buttercream with contrast colour...
    Choc mint is coming to mind with yummy peppermint crisp!
    Pinterest has gazillions of cake ideas!!