Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cake decorating - Car racetrack?

Default cake decorating - Car racetrack?

I am making a number two out of a slab cake.....
    And I want to decorate it with a car race track.....

I have been googling, but can't find exactly what I'm after yet...

Has anyone made on before?
    What lollies did you use?
    For the track?

I have the cars ( thanks to one beautiful BB lady )

Also what colour do you think it should be? The icing?

Thanks ladies, My brain is fried from grocery shopping and I cant think straight

The cake would look fine in any bright colour, blue, red or green if you want it to look grassy. If you go with the grass you could let it set a little a then use a fork to flick up a few "tufts" of grass to give some texture. Or you could tint some coconut green and sprinkle that on the wet green icing.

For the track, if you wanted a dirt road you could tint the icing brown or go with the coconut, if you want black how about liquorice strap? Just pipe white lines down the middle. You can make a piping bag out of a zip lock bag, just cut the corner off.

Actually you could use crushed up flake for a dirt road too, if i think of anything else I'll come back
    Last edited by toomanyshoes; November 4th, 2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: more added

i was going to say licorice straps with white licing lines

Have you thought of using fondant? Its really easy. I'm making a Shaun the sheep cake this weekend, I'll be using fondant for covering the cak and also for modelling the figures.

You can get it from cake decorating shops and you just colour it to the colour you want. If you're anywhere between Brisbane and the GC PM me and I can give you a list of places that will have it.

I've seen greAt fondants cake that girlfriends have made before, but they don't taste the best....

I think we will go with the green icing with coconut for grass and choc icing for the track, with coconut or white icing for the lines on the road, and put the cars on the track...... Thanks heaps ladies....

What do you think I should put around the sides? Smarties? Or leave them plain?

You could put smarties, jelly beans or something like that around the edge on the side, just push them into the icing.

I'm sure it will look awesome!

you can make fondant out of marshmallows, its more recomended for kids cakes as it tastes better, also you can get black icing from cake shops, i got some for my sons cake, it was $6 a bottle from a cake shop.

Thanks Sarah, great idea , I'll have a look at the shops tomorrow

sweetgloss Guest

Removed
    Last edited by sweetgloss; December 17th, 2010 at 10:50 AM.

Oh I got fondant yesterday and when I asked her about the bad taste of the normal one, she introduced me to the white chocolate fondant. Contains white choc and tastes like it too. So glad cause I hate trading taste for visuals!

Have you ever tried the white chocolate one?

I think I might be changing the cake to a rainbow slab cake and then just icing the same on top..... As above.

What do you think,I'd ice the number 2 as a sort of track........ I just think I could leave the sides plain rainbow, and green with choc 2 ????

What do you think? Have I been thinking about this too much ? Lol ..... I feel a little crazed !

I used finely crushed Oreos as a road base with tick tacs as the line markers. Grass was coconut with a few drops of green food colouring added to a bag and we rubbed it all together until it combined. Along the side of the curves in the road I put peppermint lifesavers that had been halved and placed upside down (cut side down). This was all put on top of buttercream icing and it tasted amazing.

Have fun with your decorating

Quote Originally Posted by Mum2Romone View Post
    I think I might be changing the cake to a rainbow slab cake and then just icing the same on top..... As above.

What do you think,I'd ice the number 2 as a sort of track........ I just think I could leave the sides plain rainbow, and green with choc 2 ????

What do you think? Have I been thinking about this too much ? Lol ..... I feel a little crazed !
    Sounds great, sides aren't important and you'll already have a lot going on on top of the cake

I did a diggers number 2 cake that had green fluffy icing all over for grass. I iced it around the sides too and then decorated the top.

I've bought all my ingredients, green colouring and rectangle pan , that's all that could find. But its big enough.....
    I also bought lifesavers the coloured ones for the track as suggested and I'm very excited to make it tomorrow, and then ice on Sunday ......I'll post a picture when it's all done .

Thanks for your help everyone!!!

Good luck, hope it goes well

Ooh can't wait to see it I was going to suggest chocolate icing (you can buy it in a packet down the aisle with the sugar/icing) and tic tacs to mark the track.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast