Thread: Cake Icing

Default Cake Icing

My kids are having their birthday party on the 10th of September. I think I am alright with the cakes - will do a white and a brown mud cake so I can do them mid week because they like to sit for a few days.

My problem is that I am due to have baby on the 9th, so I need an icing that is easy! Does anyone have any recipes for a good, easy icing that I can slap onto two cakes? I was thinking of just going white and then piping a different colored edging around each one. I have pre-printed icing pictures to go on top. I would prefer a harder icing because depending on baby I may need to glad wrap it and don't want the icing to stick to the wrap. Also if I do have to make them in advance, do I store them in the cupboard or fridge?

TIA

Rouge has a really amazing buttercream recipe...it's around the place somewhere so I'll see if I can find it for you...was that the kind of icing you were after? As for sticking...hmm maybe buttercream will but I'm not sure there is an icing that wouldn't stick. There's that hard stuff that goes on the top of cupcakes, but that's really strong tasting, dunno how it'd fare on a while cake?

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    Easiest Buttercream recipe I have is:

250g Butter
    250g Icing Sugar (you can add more if you want)
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp-tbsp Milk

If you want it to set easily you can use a tbsp of meringue powder (like the stuff in the egg to make the pavlova) but I haven't done without and it's not necessary.

Whip the butter till soft and slowly incorporate the icing sugar about a large serving spoon at a time (I have a big metal spoon). Just taste and add as you go. It's important not to add all the icing sugar at once so you don't get that grainy texture. Then add the vanilla and milk once you've got the consistancy you want. Then transfer to bowls and colour.

Buttercream is sensational to use. To stop the glad wrap from touching the icing, put some toothpicks on top of the cake, so the wrap rests on those instead of the icing. Then when you need it, you can either put candles in to cover the toothpick holes, or smooth them over.

Buttercream can be frozen too, so you could make it now and use it later.