Thread: Children's parties: who chooses the gift?

Default Children's parties: who chooses the gift?

Just wondering what others do when your child is invited to a birthday party when it comes to choosing the gift.

Do you buy what you think is appropriate/a good gift? Do you let your child choose? Do you do a combo of both? Is your child a good gift chooser?

I tend to have quite a few dramas with DD1 and buying gifts. She really wants to pick what she wants (which is understandable) and does not handle suggestions from us very well. So, bad mummy, I tend to buy the gift without her, thankfully though she tends to be quite happy with what I choose when that happens. A friend mine always lets her DD choose, as she has some great ideas (lucky her )

I let dd1 choose, so far she has chosen some great gifts as she knows what they like eg tinkerbell or my little pony. Last time she did want to buy something she wanted but I just told her to tell Santa and it was a gift for her friend so she happily chose something suitable. We then had to get a matching card and paper too.

We haven't been to too many but generally it is a joint effort. DS is often too busy playing with the toys in the shop to care too much

I have a present stash up in the cupboard (some toys, books, stationery, etc - mostly I buy them on sale and put them away). DD helps me choose an appropriate gift from that stash. If we are caught short, I generally take her to the shops and choose a couple of things for her to pick between (price, etc). The biggest issues I have is her not wanting to give away something she'd like herself! At least the present cupboard doesn't mean hours in the toy dept...

I will let DD1 choose within reason if we get the chance to go shopping, otherwise I will pick something.

I tend to have a little chat along the lines of "what does XYZ like to play with/is interested in??" To get a bit of an idea - she often comes up with ideas like, Ohhh we got dad a mandarin tree - let's get that...Um not sure hun, but I don't think a 4 year old will appreciate a plant If I am in a super rush I will just get it myself and get her to decorate the paper and card and that is usually enough.

DD1 who is 5 has no idea of cost her suggestions for a friends party next week were a scooter or a leap pad. I said Im sure he would like those things but they cost a lot of money and normally mummies and daddies buy big presents like that and friends chose other presents.

I think I might just go shopping on my own to save the whinging about her not wanting to come to the shops lol

DD2 picked a really great present for her sisters birthday, ended up being one of her favourites lol

We do a combo. If I don't agree on a pressie I throw $30 in a card lol

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Given DS1 is only 3 its generally been me but sometimes will show him 2 things and ask which I should buy for whom ever I am buying for. Issue is he generally wants things himself!!

I do have a pressie stash in cupboard as well.

Growing up we generally went shopping with mum and dad and got to pick within reason.

I try to let DS pick and make it clear that this is for XYZ. I may steer him towards the correct aisle: his teacher/grandmother may prefer some jewellery/chocolates to lego (and I can veto on price). He takes the suggestion and picks something for that person. They either like what he picks or are polite enough to say they do.

BUT I have a child who loves giving nice gifts that "make people happy" (in his words). So I have few hassles with him wanting to keep the thing or not taking suggestions. I can completely understand why other parents would not do this.

Most of the birthday parties DS has been invited to are childcare friends so we go shopping the day before the party so he can't tell them what it is I tend to let him have a say and try and direct him to something that is appropriate. I did consider going on my own and getting it but then worried DS wouldn't be happy to give the present away if he liked it when it was opened.

DD1 is actually pretty good picking for her sister, but struggles with older girls, just does not quite get they are a bit old for My little Pony

I like the concept of a gift box. Many times I see things that I think would make great presents and of course, when I we go back they are gone. Also a good concept for those times when a party invite is handed over the day before the party

Maybe as she gets older and understands the cost of things a bit better, we can hand her the money and she can pick herself!

It's usually a combo job here. The boys may choose something for their friend and I will voice my opinion on the matter. My opinion usually is "I am not paying THAT much" LOL

DD2 just made her first ever present choice - for my Mum's birthday next week. She was determined to buy Mum a vase and chose what she thinks is perfect - a little votive candle holder! Who knows what Mum will do with it but DD2 is just so proud of her prsent choice.

So far the parties that DD1 has gone to I have chosen the presents for. I usually go to the educational toy shop and buy jigsaws, games etc - she is always really happy with what I choose, but left to her own devices she wouldn't get out of the Barbie aisle!

I usually get lego or a book.