Thread: Cup Cake HELP!!!!!

Default Cup Cake HELP!!!!!

Ok so i am a bit clueless about cupcakes. I know how to make them , but i really want to know how do i make that icing that when i use the piping bags it goes hard and it won't just run down the sides. And is there a trick to it??
    I hope this make sense.
    thanks nikki

I cheat and when i pipe as i am usually only doing letters or outlines, so it is usually in brown or white and i add some melted chocolate (either milk, dark or white) to my normal icing mix which i don't make overly runny. I find it works a treat.

Otherwise you can but the cans of icing (just like whipped cream cans, my son went to a party that had used them, the only thing was they were very sweet) that look like those professional cup cakes and piping icing in bags with the attachment already on it in various colours from the supermarket.

I hope that helps in some small way, have you googled it?

Hi Nikki

I made some cupcakes yesterday, and for the first time my icing set nicely when i piped it on. I just used a bag of homebrand icing mixture - about 500g and added about 4 tablespoons of butter and a little milk at a time. I put a bit of hot water in the sink and sat the bowl in there while i was mixing it. A friend of mine makes fabulous cakes and this is the way she does it too. She actually puts the icing in the fridge first too.
    Hope you can get it to work

I'm confused. What kind of icing do you mean? The hard icing? Or the butter icing? I normally make Swiss Meringue or Buttercream or whipped ganache. I'm not a fan of the sugar cookie icing (its like paste and dries hard) just tastes like eating straight sugar to me.

I used the recipe on this thread: Vanilla Cupcakes for my daughters birthday.
    the magnolia icing was awesome, you could easily pipe it, should be just what you are looking for!

Cai, what's your recipe for buttercream? That sounds yum.
    Nikki, are you talking about the type of icing you get on the cup cakes at Micheles? It's thick like thick cream, not at all runny... I'd like to know how to make that type of icing too.
    I can make ganache, but it's thicker than that light and fluffy icing.

Snacks you can make ganache buttercream too (which is divine!) I'll find the recipe today.

We also do cream cheese icing, and also peanut butter frosting as well for cupcakes. You can even do sour cream frosting (for apple cupcakes) or yoghurt frosting which is also nommy

This is a recipe from Billy's Bakery (in NYC) that was featured on Martha... (very similar to the magnolia recipe - which is also from a cupcakery)

Ingredients

Makes enough for 30 cupcakes
    1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (250g)
    6 to 8 cups confectioners' sugar
    1/2 cup milk
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Directions

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter until smooth and creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. With mixer on low speed, add 6 cups sugar, milk, and vanilla; mix until light and fluffy. If necessary, gradually add remaining 2 cups sugar to reach desired consistency.

I don't really know what type of icing to make i am going to using a piping bag and i want the icing to stay in the nice shape (swirls) that the piping bag makes it. Last time i tried my icing look nice when i first did it but by the time i got to the last cake all the others had run and the icing just looked flat!!!!! Does that make sense now sorry

Thanks everyone Nikki

Sorry another quick questions where do i buy confectioners' sugar from i have never heard of it do i just buy it from woolies or coles or somewhere special?

Thanks♥

Its just pure icing sugar. I tend not to use the icing sugar mix if I can avoid it as it has cornflour and salt in it and you can taste the difference.

The icing I use for cupcakes is perfect for piping

Thanks heaps for that.
    I just googled it and guess why last time the icing ran.....
    I used margerine instead of butter
    I was in a hurry and shops were closed lol oh well atleast it was not for a birthday just for the kids he he he
    Well i will use butter this time lol

Thanks for all your help
    Nikki

Make sure its unsalted, and at room temperature before you use it. Salted butter just isn't as nice in icing

Thanks for that recipe. Wow, that one and the Magnolia one are quite similar... And it must make HEAPS of icing
    I suppose I could halve the recipe for my needs - we struggle to get through a dozen cup cakes whenever I make them (even for afternoon teas... Maybe my cupcakes just suck! LOL!)

What about practicing by making some for Riley's party next Friday Amy??????