Thread: Cupcake storage question!

Default Cupcake storage question!

Hi all

I am making lion cupcakes for DS birthday party and my question is do you think it would be alright to make them this arvo and store them in an airtight container and then decorate them tomorrow arvo. The party is Saturday arvo. Is making them today too early and will they go stale between now and then?

TIA
    jem

smiles4u Guest

I recently made cupcakes for my DD's birthday party ... baked them one day (kept in airtight container, then in pantry) & decorated them the next day of her midday party (24hrs after being baked)... From my experience i honestly think if i had baked them two days before the party they would have started going stale by the time of the party

Thanks smiles4u - I was hoping someone would say that it would be fine (I just want to get organised) but I did think that it might be a bit too soon. Oh well. I guess tomorrow is going to be busy!

FREEZE THEM !!! I always, always freeze my cupcakes, birthday cakes and ice them the night before the event. Icing cupcakes when they are semi frozen makes the jobs soooo easy too. The icing (buttercream) just glides on, no crumbly cake problems here.

For my DD#3 christening i did white and baby pink cupcakes.....i made the cupcakes on WEDNESDAY and iced them on SUNDAY MORNING....i got comments all day about how fresh my cupcakes were...little did they know they were baked 5 days ago LOL...

Thanks mbear. Maybe I will freeze them then. Silly question coming up - so do I just put them in an airtight container and then put them in the freezer? Do they have to be totally cool before they can go in the freezer? Oh and how full should I fill each cupcake pan? I am wanting a fairly flat top so I can decorate them like lions.

I fill mine up 3/4 full....but depends on your oven too - mine is pretty crappy. Remember, if you freeze them, and you find they are pretty rounded at the top, you can always cut them......cutting frozen cake is easy peasy compared to cutting unthawed cake.

Pop them in a airtight containter (i use a couple of lunch boxes we have lying around) about 1-2 hrs after you have taken them outta the oven....

Good luck - i looooooooove baking cupcakes !!!

Default icing question!

Thanks so much mbear.

Another question for you or someone else who knows what they are doing when it comes to cupcakes is this - I made the cupcakes last night and have frozen them in an airtight container. I have just made the butter cream icing but wont decorate them until later tonight or tomorrow morning so should I store the icing in the fridge or just keep it in a cool dark place.

I was thinking that if I put it in the fridge it might be too hard to spread onto the cupcakes. What are your thoughts. FYI - it is a cold rainy day here.

TIA

bumptiy bump I am getting desperate for an answer (I must learn to be patient)! Thanks.

ive never made the icing b4 hand...and dont know how the butter would go being left for a few hours - hard i would imagine....

Thanks but big oh no cause I have already made it. I have it in the fridge now so do you think in the morning if I get it out and then beat it again? I am worried now!