Thread: DS 1st birthday

Default DS 1st birthday

Ok, so DS is only 7 months old, but when it comes to parties, I want to always be ahead of time and give people plenty of notice.
    So, I had the idea of going to the zoo with a few friends - but it's so expensive I really had my heart set on it, but now I want a cheaper alternative.

Any ideas?

You could investigate having a baby animal farm come to your house? Still would be exy though.

What about just an animal / farm theme??

could you possibly take a picnic to the zoo and ask ppl to pay for themselves instead of a pressie?

Are there any nature reserves close?

Or I would just go witht he animal, jungle theme, as he probably won't get the full value out of it yet and save it for when he is a year or two older, with probably just a couple of close friends xxoo

is there a kiddies farm near you?

or how about a good old fashioned BBQ in the park?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

We have a little park down the road (literally) from our place with gas BBQs, but where we live is so darn far from everyone we want to invite (It's always a hassle trying to get friends down here just to catch up!) that we were looking for something central for everyone.

I might have a look into the animal farm, guess I'll just wait till next year to do it. Thanks again

Liz; how many people would you be inviting? Because all attraction have group rates. Would you be paying for all to enter, or them paying for themselves? Also do you want to see the whole zoo or just have the party in an area? Because most places will do a package for you. So if you still want to do the zoo, get in conact with them and see what deals they can do.
    I worked at a zoo before Miss M was born, group rates were around $5 per ticket cheaper. And the zoo had an area where parties were had, which was near some animals. Another thing, if any of your friends are 'friends of the zoo' they get for free too. So give them a call and ask, it can't hurt!

Liz, we thought about doing something like this for DD's birthday - but given she was only turning one, it didn't make sense - i wanted something that didn't mess with her routine tooooo much, and i wanted something SHE would enjoy. as much as the zoo/animal farm is a great idea, knowing where DD is at now, i personally don't think, for a first birthday, your DS will get much out of it. for a second birthday, yup, for sure - but, as i have been told numerous times (and tend to agree with!), the first birthday party is as much for the parents to celebrate a year of being parents as it is for the kidlet. the parents definitely get more out of it!

we had everything at home and had people travel to us. the people that could make it, made it. we wanted to disrupt DD as little as possible - and the people we wanted to share it with were mostly able to travel - i guess they recognised that it's in DD's best interests to not be too disrupted or something.

anyway, i guess what i'm saying is to think about what you actually want for your DS and what will work best for him. i have nothing against destination birthdays, but maybe a first birthday it's a bit wasted as your son won't really appreciate it.

my only suggestion would be, no matter what you do, make sure you put someone in charge of a camera. on the day, it will be pretty full on for you - make sure there is somethon that will take pics. i asked my mum early to make sure photos were taken as i know others who have forgotten on the day and regretted it. to be honest, i DID forget to pick up the camera all day yesterday!

Thanks beansbeans I'll give them a call tomorrow and ask.
    I'd planned on getting everyone to pay their own entry, and I would have only invited 3 other friends with their kids and providing a picnic for everyone and as for the animals, planning on taking them to look at the big cats and monkeys (nothing too big to start with)

BG : Thankyou so much for all the ideas Btw, the photos of Emeralds bday are gorgeous I'm such a shutterbug myself that I know I'd want to be in charge of the camera, but I think I will definitely have to get someone to do the camera because I know I'll be busy entertaining people.
    Do you think the park down the road from home would be a good idea then? It's got a park/play equipment for kidlets and a gas BBQ as well.

for this year, a park with simple play equipment would be awesome. W may be just starting to get into play equipment and can enjoy it, and you'll not have him overly tired from having to travel etc. as i said, i LOVE the idea of the animals and things - but if you do it this year, it will be for everyone else, not W. he won't be old enough to appreciate it. i know with E, she loved the balloons and the food and smiling and talking to people - but she even as an animal lover (she adores our cat and dogs) she just wouldn't have gotten anything out of the animals cos she was just too distracted by the people and related excitement. the added bonus with park close to home is that you can migrate home if the weather turns sour or if DS needs a nap...

oh, and i hear you on the shutterbug thing - saturday morning we took oooh about 150 photos before people arrived - but once they arrived, i just didn't have time! i'm so glad i asked for someone to take the pics for us. i think, because you are organising and trying to be the ideal host, you just don't have time to think to catch everyone in a pic.