Thread: DS's first birthday coming up....new ideas please!

Default DS's first birthday coming up....new ideas please!

Hello lovely ladies/gents,

We have our DS 1st birthday coming up in a month and a half (I know, still plenty of time right?).

I need some ideas of what we could do on the day. We have very few friends with kiddies (there would be two 1 year olds, two 5 year olds and a 7 year old) , and no little ones in our families (the youngest two cousins are 14 and 15). I never really went to mothers group

TIA

Beata.

Hi there, my DD3 will be 1 yr old in 3 weeks and i hadn't given it much thought as it's DD2's 3rd birthday in 3 weeks and she's been VERY vocal about what she wants!

Seeing it through the eyes of my DD1 who is 4.5 yrs old, she gets a lot of pleasure of watching the home movie we took on our camcorder of her 1st birthday - just opening her presents, even though it was only us in the room (it was 7am!).

We had a little gathering of friends and simple food. Nothing fancy at all and a heartfelt thank you to our friends for sharing the journey over the first year of her life.

Knowing what i'm going through now with a 3 yr old party to organise and a 5 yr old one later in the year, i think at 1yr old, keep it short & sweet & simple.

With the ages of the kids coming, how about a 'picnic in the park' party (saves on having the get the house ready!) or at the botannical gardens if that's close to you. then the older kids can run around as much as they like. You can organise a couple of games like pass the parcel or duck duck goose or a ball/balloon game that the kids can play.

Woohoo go the big 1 Cam

We're having a sausage sizzle for lunch in a park, with cupcakes afterwards. Not alot of fuss, inviting a few friends and family, not a big party such, just a gathering of those close to us/DD. We're thinking of asking anyone who wants to bring a present to bring a musical instrument for DD to make up a music box. I'm not talking pianos or anything lol more like shakers and tambourines etc

Looking forward to what others suggest and hearing/seeing how it all goes when you decide what to do. I'm sure it will be a lovely day regardless

DS2's 1st birthday is this Thursday. We will be just doing a little family & close friends party at our house on Saturday. Its mainly my Aunty's and some of my close friends. There will only be a 3 kids 5yo, a 3yo and a 2month old- plus DS1 of course- who is just over 2.5yo. So not going to worry about games. There is plenty of toys to play with for the 2-3hrs. Not doing anything fancy- just morning tea style (making some slices, plate of fruit, some party pies...just real easy nibbles). I've invited probably half of those I'd invited to DS1's party- which was at a local park. I was thinking about doing another park party but the weather has been so unpredictable lately- i didn't want a panic at last minute.

I'm not a big fan of doing party's every year (unless things change i'm thinking their next party would likely be around age 5- once they've got school friends to invite - we don't have to many young ones is our family) but thought they'd better at least have a 1st one- even if its only for them to look back at photos or watch videos. And I'm sure my DS2 will have fun with the wrapping paper from all his presents after DS1 has 'helped' open them...lol!

Wow! Beata, I can't believe it has almost been a year since your awesome little guy was born! I hope you're both well

Thanks ladies! I think we'll do something small, I think DS is too little to get excited about big things anyway (like DF's idea of hiring out a little zoo to come to our backyard ).

Lisa, thanks hun! Time flies hey? Look at you lady! Almost ready to meet your little bubba!!! All the best to you sweetie! Can't wait for your BA

PS HB, thanks hun! I posted in our thread too

OK ladies, have been brainstorming for the last few days. Still can't decide on what to do. Was thinking of hiring out a jumping castle for the back yard, except the 4 x 4 m. one will take more than half the back yard, and then with the swing set on the other side it will leave next to no room for the adults to sit around (I have a garden feature in the middle of the garden separating it in half, sort of). I live in a small 2 bedroom unit so if the weather is average there is no way I can fit everyone inside! So, then I thought I'll get a petting zoo to come out, good idea, but I think the issues of space is still HUGE. So, I went out to the Chesterfield Animal Farm in Scorsby, and they hire out rooms for kids parties and outside they hire out the BBQ for free and there are a further 2 big picnic tables outside. Inside the room, 6 big tressle tables can fit comfortably (which they provide). The only thing is that the room is very old (think 1800s) so it's very dark and gloomy. I would have to come early in the morning and decorate it with balloons/streamers etc. The whole thing would be around $400 plus the BBQ food for 40 people and 8 kids, plus the cake which is $160. Chi ching chi ching!!!!!! Hs anyone been to the farm and if so what has been your experience?